Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Feathered legs is the easiest un-French standard thing to take care of in your breeding program IMHO. You will get clean and feathered...and again, you just have to keep breeding the feathered until the clean is gone. When I first started, I had a clean legged blue copper w/ a heavy feather shanked roo and got 75% feathered.
Now, all I have is feathered
cool.png

Quote:
So the Splash will carry the genes too? I plan on keeping a Splash roo and the 3 pullets I got (2 splash, 1 blue) and going on from there, but this color will still be there even in the Splash right? Will the Blacks have copper in them too? I see that I have a lot to learn about this color. They are going to be huge, I am really pleased with how they are growing so far. Thanks for the help for a marans newbie! I'll try to get more pictures up soon.

Quote:
So the Splash will carry the genes too? I plan on keeping a Splash roo and the 3 pullets I got (2 splash, 1 blue) and going on from there, but this color will still be there even in the Splash right? Will the Blacks have copper in them too? I see that I have a lot to learn about this color. They are going to be huge, I am really pleased with how they are growing so far. Thanks for the help for a marans newbie! I'll try to get more pictures up soon.

I don't know much about the splash...but if you breed for splash, the copper will become recessive until it's completely bred out...
Here is a great site for Marans newbies
big_smile.png

http://www.marans.be/EN/pages/ChrisHome.htm

~4kidZ

*edit for sentence structure!*

Last edited:
yes, thats just it, they all look like Marans...but all my chicks so far, and I have 5 hatched...2 are Ee's, and the others are 2 splash maran, blue maran...but yet...they all look alike!!! So Im very confused...now the Daddy of this bunch is a Leghorn, beautiful young man...you can see my hens and my Big Daddy in my link below

My beautiful babies...you can see my EE the blk/gold one, the splash maran Maybelline, and blue maran Negerita...those are the mamas to these...lol

Im thinking, I will be able to tell who belongs to who...YEAH RIGHT.

ok.. You can see what I have in my flock...by clicking my BEAUTIFUL BABIES link....I bred that Roo with these girls...

they babies hatched and they are all YELLOW in color even though each mom had them...different hens, same daddy...only one that I can see might have the splash shadings...and one EE I can see gold in it...but they almost all look alike!!!

Im thinking I wll be able to tell my splashes, from my Smokeys, Negeritas, and sunshine...oh heck no!!!

Quote:
ok...so let me get this straight. You are NOT getting your splash from breeding a white Marans Roo to blue (or blue copper) hens...? You are breeding a Marans HEN to a LEGHORN ROO?

yes, these are my personal hens...and I do this as a hobby...get pretty babies...so to speak. I thought my Roo is handsome and has good traits...so I bred him to my own girls...for my own baby stock for my flock

big daddy is bred

with my splash maran
with my blue maran
with my EE's...both jewels and sunshine
and with my other one that I do not know what she is....I call her smokey
and my RIR girls

I didnt put any RIR eggs into the bator...

Last edited:
I just wanted to share this pic. I thought it was tooo funny.
lau.gif

19853_dscf3878-2.jpg

It looks like the one in the front is like "Ok... who pooped right here"
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom