MARANS : Wheaten roo or pullet???? Blue copper or something else??

picanins

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Myakka, FL
Hello lovely people

I purchased my first marans chickens 2 weeks ago and they're doing so well. I feel like i'm learning so much - yay!! I have a few pics and questions.

1) I was told wheaten marans feather out completely different. If this is true, do I have one wheaten roo and one pullet?

2) I thought I purchased one copper marans but as you can see from the pics the feathering on the legs is not nearly as advanced as the others (they are all between 3-4 weeks old). What do you think?

3) I think I've got a black copper roo as well - can you sex them according to feathers as well? I think this is a potential roo

Thank you for your help!!

OK - Finally I have some clearer pics. Yay!!! Chicks are now closer to 5 weeks.

First up, here are our lovely Wheatens : Introducing Donald and Bertha. Do you think we have 'sexed' them correctly - I was told the males have much brighter feathers than the females.

Closer one of Donald :

Closer one of Bertha

On to our Blue Copper Marans, 'Sally-Anne'. Is this typical Blue Copper Marans colouring? Do you think she can keep 'Sally-Anne' or is she looking more 'Steve'ish'???

Sally-Anne and Bertha are VERY good friends :)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

I think you've got genders right on
thumbsup.gif

Oh thanks so much! Wow - a splash. That should be very interesting. I will post a photo in a couple of months to show progress :)

Here's an update on the Marans. Still no copper in Sally-Anne (below), so we're definitely thinking blue or splash (being first time Marans owners, there is the very strong possibility that we have got absolutely no idea what we're talking about - LOL)

r

And here is Donald, who we now think is a Blue Wheaten coz of all the blue feathering we're seeing. He is SUCH a lovely character - very laid back and friendly :)

I have a Blue Copper pullet. It took her quite a long time to develop the copper. Sorry, I can't remember exactly how old she was before it showed up, but she was bigger than yours.

Back
Top Bottom