March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

I'm with you on this one...I just set mine yesterday. First time doing this. We got a few eggs from my daughters friend to do a "test hatch" with our new incubator. A mix of silkies and a variety of egg layers. (not sure what breed egg layers as they have a few that all lay brown eggs and they are all mixed in together. They are going to take back any we hatch and then we will try with our special colored eggs I am going to buy. I didn't want to wait another week for Easter because I want to have a week or two to clean the hatcher before we start again :)

Hi. I just set eggs. I'm behind on this HAL but too early for the easter HAL. Can I just hang here? I set 3 dozen eggs. 2 dozen leghorns and 4 RIRs, 3 easter eggers, 3 Black Austrolorps and 2 barnyard mix (blue Andalusian roo over Wyandotte or something). I love candling the leghorns, I hope to get some really good pics this time. Two of the eggs have a tiny dent I am not sure if I should toss? It's like a hen pecked it. Happy hatching
1f423.png
Sure, you can can hang here. You are only a week behind. Good luck with your hatch.

I now understand everyone posting about how this feels like forever! Only 1 day in and I'm like "when will they hatch!?" It's like counting down to Christmas.

I now understand everyone posting about how this feels like forever! Only 1 day in and I'm like "when will they hatch!?" It's like counting down to Christmas.
It may feel like forever - especially that 1st week when you just can't wait to candle. The good news is that in 3 weeks those eggs will turn into chicks. We barely sleep on hatch days/nights. My ears have tuned into that loud, "Where's Mama" peeping that a chick makes when it 1st hatches. Sometimes DD & I hear it at the same time & run downstairs to see who hatched. It's very addictive.

hide.gif
Somehow 6 more biele eggs found their way into my incubator.
How could I resist?

The rest are my lav orp eggs. Of course the real goal is to test their egg fertility. If some are infertile, then I'll know who needs a butt-fluff trim.

Here's the daddy. He's a big blk/lav split English Orpington, and the sweetest roo ever. I hope for plenty of his Lav chicks to share.

Back
Top Bottom