March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

I candled my eggs and put all 32 into lockdown!!
yesss.gif
jumpy.gif

I candled today, day 8. Almost a dozen are no good!
1f61e.png
. They are either clear or blood rings. What the heck. I feel like complaining to the seller.

I candled today, day 8. Almost a dozen are no good!
1f61e.png
. They are either clear or blood rings. What the heck. I feel like complaining to the seller.
If they were shipped eggs, it's very possible to get zero. I had that happen 2xs. 3xs I got only 1-4 chicks out of 12. Only once did I get 75% from shipped eggs. If you can find someone with a breed you like within an hour drive, you'll be much happier with the results. BYC is a great place to make those connections.

My styrofoam incubator is not holding steady temps, so in hindsight, I wish I would have set up my coolerbator. At the time, I was thinking the auto-turner would save me the time & energy from hoovering around the incubator. Because the temps are not steady, I must keep a close eye on things. (No time is being saved!) I set close to 3 doz eggs & now will be happy if 1/2 make it. I will know more when I candle on day 14. (Mon)

On the bright side, my mini orp (Cookie) has been in her fav nest box for about 36 hrs straight. If my incubator ended up killing my current batch, I'll at least have a safer incubator ready & waiting.

If they were shipped eggs, it's very possible to get zero.  I had that happen 2xs.   3xs I got only 1-4 chicks out of 12.  Only once did I get 75% from shipped eggs.  If you can find someone with a breed you like within an hour drive, you'll be much happier with the results.  BYC is a great place to make those connections.

I picked them up from a farm up the road. And I just had a super successful hatch from the same eggs in January. He said he's not from here and he's storing eggs and chicks in an insulated shed but I instantly thought he's gonna cook everything in there real soon as the temperature climbs. We're in AZ, 90's outside already this year. So we'll see what's going on here.

[COLOR=333333]My styrofoam incubator is not holding steady temps, so in hindsight, I wish I would have set up my coolerbator.  At the time, I was thinking the auto-turner would save me the time & energy from hoovering around the incubator.  Because the temps are not steady, I must keep a close eye on things.  (No time is being saved!)  I set close to 3 doz eggs & now will be happy if 1/2 make it.  I will know more when I candle on day 14. (Mon)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]On the bright side, my mini orp (Cookie) has been in her fav nest box for about 36 hrs straight.  If my incubator ended up killing my current batch, I'll at least have a safer incubator ready & waiting.[/COLOR]

I have a styrobator and tried so many locations in my house and realized the only place stable enough is my bathroom. The room literally has to be barely a degree of fluctuation. I hope your others do well.

I picked them up from a farm up the road. And I just had a super successful hatch from the same eggs in January. He said he's not from here and he's storing eggs and chicks in an insulated shed but I instantly thought he's gonna cook everything in there real soon as the temperature climbs. We're in AZ, 90's outside already this year. So we'll see what's going on here.
Keep forgetting that not everyone's dealing with snow as we are at the moment. We have to gather eggs several times per day to prevent eggs from freezing.

Been thinking of trying out a new brooder this year. Last year my DD recycled her old school projects to make a cardboard brooder. I have used many misc. cardboard boxes over the years b/c it's just easy to find for free. I've also repurposed storage tubs to make easy-to-clean brooders, but unless I only have 2-5 chicks, they outgrow the tubs too quickly. I have an old dog crate & rabbit cage that work well for a broody cage &/or brooder, but like I said, I wanted to try something new.

I've heard good things about the EcoGlow and decided to try out something similar. I always have brooder lamps if my efforts fail. The big benefit is being able to have the chicks outside in the garage in March. (Normally I don't dare until mid May & still always had a heat lamp.)

What do you think of these heating ideas?

1. chick warmer made from 9x13 pan, sand & xmas lights.
https://pureandsimplelife.wordpress.com/

2. Heating pad broody hen - cave
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update
* I'm leaning toward this one.

Brooder enclosure:
Then while I was shopping with my daughter last night, I found a pack n play for $6. I can't buy a storage tub for that price, & this should fit my fake broody hen set up and several chicks if/when they hatch. Has anyone ever tried to use a play pen brooder before? How did it go? Inside house or in unheated garage?

I'm thinking of either lining it with leftover plastic sheeting, like this person did: http://www.nwedible.com/chickens-in-playpen-baby-in-coop/
or
buying a roll of Press N Seal to put up around the bottom.

Just bouncing around some ideas..... Tell me what you think.

Back
Top Bottom