March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

Candled today and have at least 8 viable out of 18. The silkie eggs looked pretty clear. I have one I'm not sure of. Has great veining on one side and then what I am worries may be a blood ring...ill try to post a pick, but basically part of it looks like streaky dark instead of just clear veining. Ok...how do I post a pic when on my phone???

So I figured out why I wasn't getting very many eggs a day.

Apparently I have a broody hen again. Guess I'll go ahead and let her see what she can hatch. I'm not so sure there aren't some guinea eggs in there. The problem is I have buff orpington and barred rock hen under a mottled houdan rooster. Guess they could be cute.
You must share pics of those combos when they grow out!

You must share pics of those combos when they grow out!

Well she isn't sitting on them now.
1f621.png
I will probably put them in there then.

So we went to candle our eggs before lockdown and this is what we saw:

We took the turner out, added water and locked that puppy down. We have been gone for a few hours and this is what we have now:

She's working her way out. It is a silkie egg. So far it looks dark. We're interested to see what colors we end up with. I told the kids they could keep a buff and a black since we lost those to a mink a few months ago.
1f622.png
all the rest are being sold. We also have 8 maran eggs and I plan to keep all the splash from those.

We put 13 eggs down on look down. With the egg turner the temp was 101 - 102. Now its at 95 without the turner. Is the temp ok?

Thanks, Kevin

We put 13 eggs down on look down. With the egg turner the temp was 101 - 102. Now its at 95 without the turner. Is the temp ok? 

Thanks, Kevin

Your temp should still be the same after lockdown as it has been the whole time. You will want to increase the humidity though.

Just locked everything down (assuming humidity gets up -- filled all but one channel so waiting to see how it settles before I go to bed); one of our bantams eggs CHEEPED at us when we candled to check air-cell and I could feel it knocking/moving in the egg. My daughter's eyes were HUGE when the second cheep came!!!!!

All but three air-cells looked good .... I'm not sure why but three had much smaller air-cells than everyone else. Any reason why? Everyone else was right on track.

Back
Top Bottom