March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

QUESTION:

The first two chicks are still in incubator -- not completely fluffy (I'm guessing humidity) -- but are hobbling and jumping all over the place which is causing some major shifts in the rest of the eggs. I watched them knock around two that have pipped and now those pips are facing the floor. Should I go ahead and take these two out -- even though not completely dry -- and put them in the brooder so that I can put the pipped eggs back "face up"? Worried about them not getting enough air.
You are more likely to have issues with the hatch if you open the incubator at this point. I have found that the bumping around does not bother the ones who are zipping and sometimes encourages them a bit. They will keep rolling them around and they shouldn't have a problem with air if you have a wire bottom on the incubator.

Wow, a lot happens when one is gone for a few days! Out of 32 eggs that made it to lockdown, 30 of them hatched!!
wee.gif

I'm very pleased with my results! Will try to get pictures up later!
Congrats to everyone else who has chicks hatching!

Wow, a lot happens when one is gone for a few days! Out of 32 eggs that made it to lockdown, 30 of them hatched!!
wee.gif

I'm very pleased with my results! Will try to get pictures up later!
Congrats to everyone else who has chicks hatching!
Congrats! I just put my broody into "lockdown" with 5 eggs. One I don't think is viable but we are giving it a chance. Hopefully we will have 4 little peeps on Monday.

We have 2 hatched and 3 more piped that I can see. Now the other eggs are rolled all over. They must be waking up the others to hatch out.
jumpy.gif

Once they start they pop like popcorn. I have 5 silkies hatched and 1 maran. Have 4 more maran eggs pipped and 3 silkies.

I have another maran that has been like this for a day now. It's beak is sticking up through the hole so it can't drown but it hasn't made any progress. I guess I'll leave it until the others hatch and if he's made it that long I'll help him out. Here's a few of the other babies.

Day 21 and we have 15 of 18 eggs hatched. :) Going to remove all the older chicks in a bit. It is getting very crowded.of the 3 remaining eggs, one pipped yesterday but never broke through -- it is a bantam egg and is getting knocked around and beat up in there since it is so small and light.

Just put eggs into the hatcher now!!! One looked smaller-sized when compared to the other embryos, but then I saw it moving. We had only one known quitter. (Plenty of clears, but that was the point to find which hens need some " fluff trimming")

4 Bieles
3 EEs (sadly the sex-linked ones were clear)
5 Spitzhauben
12 lav or black Orps

I'm very excited & looking forward to Tues.
jumpy.gif

To aid in chick ID, I separated the eggs by putting them into strawberry containers. I removed the top & bottoms, then used a hole punch for more side ventilation. Just in case they take up climbing, I hot glued some mesh across the top. I've never tried this before, so there are many 1st with this hatch.

Next I'm off to build my brooder & heating pad hen. I post pics when it's done.

Just put eggs into the hatcher now!!! One looked smaller-sized when compared to the other embryos, but then I saw it moving. We had only one known quitter. (Plenty of clears, but that was the point to find which hens need some " fluff trimming")

4 Bieles
3 EEs (sadly the sex-linked ones were clear)
5 Spitzhauben
12 lav or black Orps

I'm very excited & looking forward to Tues.
jumpy.gif

To aid in chick ID, I separated the eggs by putting them into strawberry containers. I removed the top & bottoms, then used a hole punch for more side ventilation. Just in case they take up climbing, I hot glued some mesh across the top. I've never tried this before, so there are many 1st with this hatch.

Next I'm off to build my brooder & heating pad hen. I post pics when it's done.
Can't wait to see your fluffy butts. Day 19 for my broody. She did her usual crazy broody run today and I got a look at the eggs. No sounds yet.
fl.gif

16 of 18 currently hatched. #16 had to be assisted and is weak but seems to be recovering. #17 egg is pipped and chirping but being slow. #18 might be dead -- candled and can't see an internal pip at all. Might do a float test tomorrow if still nothing.

Here are some of our cuties:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom