March 13th 2016 Hatch-A-long

The last one hatched at 5 am today. All hatched that we put on lock down.
wee.gif

Ended up needing to assist the final two -- one is doing great aside from some curled toes (he is currently sporting homemade chick shoes). The other had a very rough time and I intervened at about the 26 hour mark -- I am afraid he has navel/yolk infection. I have him separate and am treating with iodine for the time being.

The final egg was dead -- sadly, it looks like it made it to day 17 or close to it. I knew that there wasn't movement at day 18 candle but kept it anyway. It was fully formed but hadn't absorbed any of the yolk. Not sure what happened. :(

When we were looking at them, we must have a EE laying a light brown egg. We have a chick with green legs and one with muffs. We only have a splash Orp rooster. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

This year I wanted to try out a different way to brood chicks. I looked into a sweeter heater or pet mat, but figured I could find something cheaper. My orig idea was a wood frame with scrap piece of garden fence. 4 corners with dowel rod legs. Then drill one hole about every inch down the dowel rod to make it adjustable. Simple nail / peg to lock at my chosen height.

Anyway, my father happened to have a long piece of L-metal around, so my basic frame turned into something a little nicer. The 12x24" heating pad fits perfectly. It's a cheap Sunbeam one that doesn't have the auto shut off after 2 hrs (perfect for this use!) I had it on for 7-8hrs yesterday & it stayed on the whole time. This is the exact one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGDDI0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I raised the height to 8" in this pic.

My 2nd project was turning an old Graco Pack N Play into a brooder - or Peck N Play. I lined it with Press 'N Seal, then used an old feed bag as a liner. I will start with it in the house to make sure the Mama Heating Pad is working. I hope to have them in the garage or coop around week 2.

This year I wanted to try out a different way to brood chicks. I looked into a sweeter heater or pet mat, but figured I could find something cheaper. My orig idea was a wood frame with scrap piece of garden fence. 4 corners with dowel rod legs. Then drill one hole about every inch down the dowel rod to make it adjustable. Simple nail / peg to lock at my chosen height.

Anyway, my father happened to have a long piece of L-metal around, so my basic frame turned into something a little nicer. The 12x24" heating pad fits perfectly. It's a cheap Sunbeam one that doesn't have the auto shut off after 2 hrs (perfect for this use!) I had it on for 7-8hrs yesterday & it stayed on the whole time. This is the exact one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGDDI0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I raised the height to 8" in this pic.

My 2nd project was turning an old Graco Pack N Play into a brooder - or Peck N Play. I lined it with Press 'N Seal, then used an old feed bag as a liner. I will start with it in the house to make sure the Mama Heating Pad is working. I hope to have them in the garage or coop around week 2.

Fantastic Idea!

This year I wanted to try out a different way to brood chicks. I looked into a sweeter heater or pet mat, but figured I could find something cheaper. My orig idea was a wood frame with scrap piece of garden fence. 4 corners with dowel rod legs. Then drill one hole about every inch down the dowel rod to make it adjustable. Simple nail / peg to lock at my chosen height. Anyway, my father happened to have a long piece of L-metal around, so my basic frame turned into something a little nicer. The 12x24" heating pad fits perfectly. It's a cheap Sunbeam one that doesn't have the auto shut off after 2 hrs (perfect for this use!) I had it on for 7-8hrs yesterday & it stayed on the whole time. This is the exact one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGDDI0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 I raised the height to 8" in this pic. My 2nd project was turning an old Graco Pack N Play into a brooder - or Peck N Play. I lined it with Press 'N Seal, then used an old feed bag as a liner. I will start with it in the house to make sure the Mama Heating Pad is working. I hope to have them in the garage or coop around week 2.
Let me know how the heat pad works. That is an awesome idea. Does yours have a tempature adjust on it?

Let me know how the heat pad works. That is an awesome idea. Does yours have a tempature adjust on it?
The heating pad has only Hi-Med-Lo, but I made the height adjustable. I'm thinking of making the front legs slightly taller, so the chicks can go to the back for a heat boost.

Back
Top Bottom