March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I guess I should move over to this HAL, since my hatch dates are 3/6 and 3/8! I set 8 Tolbunt and Candy Corn Polish eggs from a local guy on 2/13 and 13 porcelain d’Uccles and one bantam Cochin on 2/15 that were shipped from about 4 hours away (and took 3 days to get here 🙄). I candled the Polish eggs tonight and all 8 have veins! One looks iffy on making it but still too early to call it a quitter!

The shipped eggs were packaged super well, so I’m hopeful that I get a decent amount to hatch. They were in foam, in a small box, then placed in a bigger box surrounded by padding. Here’s hoping the extra effort pays off. Will try to leave them alone as much as possible…but it’s hard not to want to candle constantly 😆

I am rebuilding my flocks, so I am using shipped eggs to hatch atm. Currently have some muscovies, bantam Cochins, standard Brahmas, and rainbow eggs that should hatch in March. Shipped eggs are harder to hatch than hatching your own flocks. I do love a challenge

I hope you have a good hatch.

Well.... Here I am again on the third hatch-a-long for the year already. How did that happen?🤔 🤣
I am kicking myself for selling the two blues I hatched at the end of January. I thought, well I can always hatch more, but then it has not been as easy as I thought. So this time only setting eggs that have a chance of hatching blue chicks (25%). Just found out that my splash hen has also finally accepted the rooster, so will likely get some blue (and blue paint) chicks from her as well. Photos of the two hens I am setting eggs from. These two both have non vaulted skulls and have the best body type of my hens.
Set 13 yesterday with due date 3/9 and will likely collect more and set in another week or so.😊
A5439CDA-91F7-4ED2-B8B5-337C28814FE5.jpeg
ED99856C-D15A-4B5E-B13C-C7A1F180FCEC.jpeg
11F3BF9F-5483-4CBB-877B-68CAFAC16639.jpeg
36C24162-746B-42E4-8A8F-195BD88F60FA.jpeg

Candled the 4 shipped Sebastopol Eggs today (Day 6-7) and determined that egg #3 and #4 didn't come to play (didn't develop) but ... it happens :barnie

Sebastopol Egg1 2-17.jpg
Sebastopol Egg2 2-17.jpg

Egg #1 and #2 are doing very well 🥰
I was going to set a few fresh chicken eggs to hatch along with the Goslings ... got as far as selecting 19 eggs and carrying them into the office/craft room (Incubator room) before I decided to see if maybe, perhaps, by chance someone ... anyone ... had some brown Bielefelder eggs they didn't want anymore, available on eBay ...

Some people are so proud of their hatching eggs, they say these eggs are for Sale but the prices are so ridiculous high, no way people are paying that kind of money ... or perhaps I'm to CHEAP :confused:

Found 12+ Eggs outside of Dallas Texas, that's about 6 hours from here ... eggs should be here next Thursday or Friday (as Monday is a Federal Holiday)
:celebrate:wee:yesss:

Candled the 4 shipped Sebastopol Eggs today (Day 6-7) and determined that egg #3 and #4 didn't come to play (didn't develop) but ... it happens :barnie

View attachment 2997153View attachment 2997154

Egg #1 and #2 are doing very well 🥰
I was going to set a few fresh chicken eggs to hatch along with the Goslings ... got as far as selecting 19 eggs and carrying them into the office/craft room (Incubator room) before I decided to see if maybe, perhaps, by chance someone ... anyone ... had some brown Bielefelder eggs they didn't want anymore, available on eBay ...

Some people are so proud of their hatching eggs, they say these eggs are for Sale but the prices are so ridiculous high, no way people are paying that kind of money ... or perhaps I'm to CHEAP :confused:

Found 12+ Eggs outside of Dallas Texas, that's about 6 hours from here ... eggs should be here next Thursday or Friday (as Monday is a Federal Holiday)
:celebrate:wee:yesss:

Some eggs are ridiculously high. When the price per egg is higher than buying a live hatchling I usually pass.

I have a limit per egg that I will go with the price of shipping in that.

Egg math is hard. But, this is why we learnt algebra in highschool. 12-4+BW+D+OEG=28. Yep. Lets hope there's no more to add to the equation!
Yeah I was really good at algebra......
36 L over 26 ATH x x⁶ = I must remember to set another lot next week

Back
Top Bottom