March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
That is a beautiful fortress you have created! You clearly understand my issues with naughty housemates! :D That should work great!

Genius setup! You should do an article with this!

Thank you.

I don't have an unused room in the house and there is no place that is both within MY reach and out of reach of agile cats. DH thought of buying the wire shelves for the laundry room and I remembered those storage crate panels -- which turned out to be exactly the right size.

I was hearing some curious sounds from the incubator this morning. Did a quick candling & I have 2 internal pips & quite a few eggs looking like the aircells are expanding a little too much.

It is day 23 of 28. Should I put them into lockdown early? I will mention last year I had duck eggs hatch on day 26. Digital Thermometer has been calibrated & I also have a fish tank mercury thermometer in there reading the same.

I was hearing some curious sounds from the incubator this morning. Did a quick candling & I have 2 internal pips & quite a few eggs looking like the aircells are expanding a little too much.

It is day 23 of 28. Should I put them into lockdown early? I will mention last year I had duck eggs hatch on day 26. Digital Thermometer has been calibrated & I also have a fish tank mercury thermometer in there reading the same.
I would start lockdown now! That way if they do pip externally it isn't too dry in there for them. I think at this point you should be okay with the higher humidity.

I've just set 7 eggs for my first ever hatch. Hoping to get some olive egger babies! My roo was an olive egger and I'm hatching 4 welsummer hen eggs, 2 buff orpington hen eggs and I have 1 EE egg. If I put these in last night around 5pm would it hurt to add another EE egg that was laid this morning? It's about 9am now.
20220224_084233.jpg

I've just set 7 eggs for my first ever hatch. Hoping to get some olive egger babies! My roo was an olive egger and I'm hatching 4 welsummer hen eggs, 2 buff orpington hen eggs and I have 1 EE egg. If I put these in last night around 5pm would it hurt to add another EE egg that was laid this morning? It's about 9am now. View attachment 3003852
Yes I think it would be fine! They won’t all hatch the exact same hour anyway!

Yep, duck eggs always need lockdown early, I always do them 5 days before hatch date, because they seem to pip early but then take their time. Or yes they are over ambitious and hatch day 26

I would start lockdown now! That way if they do pip externally it isn't too dry in there for them. I think at this point you should be okay with the higher humidity.

Yep, duck eggs always need lockdown early, I always do them 5 days before hatch date, because they seem to pip early but then take their time. Or yes they are over ambitious and hatch day 26
Ok I was thinking the same. In to lockdown they go!

Thank you. Not looking too promising though because all my animals seem to be free loading now :th. My ducks are Indian runner x Cayuga and runner x appleyard. Great for eggs and meat which is exactly what I want.

Heritage. 2 turkey hens are bronze but one looks to have another colour mixed in. Possibly bourbon so should through some nice colours. Our two toms are just plain old white but they’re both pretty friendly.

Ahh nice. I have Anconas and Muscovys. They tend to not mix todather.

Back
Top Bottom