March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I candled them again in much better darkness and egg 3 is definitely the most saddled but there’s definitely a baby inside! Same with egg 5. They both seem to be developing okay, I could even see the blood pumping through with each heart beat 😍
4CE03091-D954-4297-8F6B-83566278A9B0.jpeg

And I candled the Polish eggs and they are looking really solid. I tried capturing the foot I could so clearly see, but it kept moving as soon as I clicked to take the picture 🤪 But I think you can make out the little head and beak! 😍🥰😍

28CD7A45-10CE-48E1-9029-2058A4F3C2F3.jpeg

Yes, I will get a picture of them tonight! I’ve looked at a few pictures on here and online from other saddled eggs and I think I just need a good plan for them. I have the NR 360 so I can’t keep them upright at the moment. When I take the turner out I could try the egg carton idea. Or should I do it sooner? The Polish eggs look fine, so I didn’t want to mess with them if I didn’t need to 🥴
You can wait until you take the turner out. I use cut down cardboard egg cartons, so there is only a skeleton left and ensure the carton does not occlude where you think the pip will be. 😊

Okay, ask and ye shall receive @LadiesAndJane 😁

Eggs 3 and 5 look saddled. I can see movement inside but they do seem a bit less developed than eggs 10-12. I could get better pictures in total darkness, but thought this was enough?

Do saddled eggs maybe need a bit higher humidity? I have a small Janoel incubator I could set them up in by themselves if needed?

Egg 3 -

View attachment 3006100

View attachment 3006101

Egg 5 - for some reason the other angle of egg 5 is at the end!

View attachment 3006108

Eggs 10, 11, 12 -

View attachment 3006113

View attachment 3006114

View attachment 3006117

The air cell on Egg 12 seems small in comparison to 10 and 11…what might that indicate? Thanks!!
Other than setting them upright at lockdown, you do not need to do anything different. There are many different ways to deal with saddled eggs.
Yours do not look too bad to me.😊

Other than setting them upright at lockdown, you do not need to do anything different. There are many different ways to deal with saddled eggs.
Yours do not look too bad to me.😊
Okay yay! Thank you! I only have these 5 d’Uccles developing so I want every chance they will succeed! I didn’t think 5 was actually developing when I candled a couple days ago, so it was fun to discover I have an extra! :) so the shipped eggs are actually 6 of 14…still low but not bad considering! Now to just make it to hatch—these last few days always feel sooo slooow.

Okay yay! Thank you! I only have these 5 d’Uccles developing so I want every chance they will succeed! I didn’t think 5 was actually developing when I candled a couple days ago, so it was fun to discover I have an extra! :) so the shipped eggs are actually 6 of 14…still low but not bad considering! Now to just make it to hatch—these last few days always feel sooo slooow.
Fingers crossed that they hatch for you! 😊❤️

Question:

I've got the Nurture Right 360, which is supposed to stop turning automatically at the right time. Is there any reason to actually take the turner out? Would the turner serve the same purpose as the ropes, etc I see people using to prevent "egg soccer"?
The turner should come out. The chicks can hurt themselves on it. I also highly recommend using the non stick shelf liner at lock down to prevent spraddle leg. It comes in a roll and can be cut to fit easily. Photo below.😊
53CC5AF1-55A9-421B-A42F-F81158EE9D05.jpeg

Egg soccer hehehe and so true. Yeah I was thinking of using a rope or a mat this time but spaced and waited till last minute when lock down came. So I scrambled for the usual. But this time I am hatching them in my closet so I can keep it dark for the most part so they sleep instead of play. Hoping it helps.
This morning looks like the remnants of a wild party.
20220227_055534~2.jpg

Today is day 21. Thought I would have a better show this morning. Hope today is good. NOW I had better go set up the brooder. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom