March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Looks like the humidity is too high. I am in Hawaii as well and I dry incubate because of this. Without any water in the incubator at all, my humidity runs 25% to 45%. What incubator do you have? Some brands are better than others at keeping the humidity stable.
I add water at day 19 or the first pip, whichever comes first.
You can try pulling out all the water and see what your humidity runs without it.
Also important to have an independent salt tested hygrometer for humidity accuracy.

Can you post photos of the other eggs the ones that look better to you?

Candle wax works for cracks. You can also use nail Polish. I prefer liquid bandage.

Hope your daughter is OK!😊
Here are two that look a little better but still seems like maybe too much humidity
20220311_074743.jpg
20220311_074813.jpg

I've taken the water out of the reservoir and the humidity had stayed around 45-48%... will this be low enough to do the job in the next few days since they're already pretty close to hatch? My incubator is this one
Screenshot_20220311-081729_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I think the candle wax is at least doing its job so hopefully the chick makes it just fine. I did have liquid bandage but just chose to use the first solution that I found.

Here are two that look a little better but still seems like maybe too much humidity View attachment 3021416View attachment 3021417
I've taken the water out of the reservoir and the humidity had stayed around 45-48%... will this be low enough to do the job in the next few days since they're already pretty close to hatch? My incubator is this oneView attachment 3021424
I think the candle wax is at least doing its job so hopefully the chick makes it just fine. I did have liquid bandage but just chose to use the first solution that I found.
Yes the humidity is definitely high also on the other eggs, the air cells are small. Just do the best you can and run dry up until lockdown. The humidity may come down a bit more when the incubator dries out completely. I would also push lockdown to day 19 or even 20. Candle day 18 and see how they look. You could even wait until you see the first pip and then put the water in.
This is the NR 360 and is an excellent incubator. I have one of these as well.😊
The wax should do the trick.

Yes the humidity is definitely high also on the other eggs, the air cells are small. Just do the best you can and run dry up until lockdown. The humidity may come down a bit more when the incubator dries out completely. I would also push lockdown to day 19 or even 20. Candle day 18 and see how they look. You could even wait until you see the first pip and then put the water in.
This is the NR 360 and is an excellent incubator. I have one of these as well.😊
The wax should do the trick.
Sound like a good game plan! I'll do this! I'll start looking for pips and not add water till then. I read the reviews on this incubator before purchasing it (I've read horror stories of lost batches of eggs due to malfunctioning incubators) and it seemed like a good one at a reasonable price for what we wanted to do. I'm glad you confirmed it is!

Sound like a good game plan! I'll do this! I'll start looking for pips and not add water till then. I read the reviews on this incubator before purchasing it (I've read horror stories of lost batches of eggs due to malfunctioning incubators) and it seemed like a good one at a reasonable price for what we wanted to do. I'm glad you confirmed it is!
Yes I think the majority of folks here on BYC like this incubator. I just hate the lid! 🤣

Make sure you have a separate humidity monitor (hygrometer). My NR 360 is a couple years old now and the humidity reading is off on mine anyway.😊

Yes I think the majority of folks here on BYC like this incubator. I just hate the lid! 🤣

Make sure you have a separate humidity monitor (hygrometer). My NR 360 is a couple years old now and the humidity reading is off on mine anyway.😊
I had actually bought a good humidity monitor when I purchased this and it got lost in the mail... Amazon finally just refunded the cost and I had already set the eggs for about a week and decided I would get one for the next hatch but we'd "wing" it (pun intended) this hatch... which might have been a bad idea considering we culled our olive egger roo that fathered these chickies and I don't have another rooster to breed to (our silkie roo is either too dumb or too infertile to fertilize our eggs).

Last edited:
I had actually bought a good humidity monitor when I purchased this and it got lost in the mail... Amazon finally just refunded the cost and I had already set the eggs for about a week and decided I would get one for the next hatch but we'd "wing" (pun intended) this hatch... which might have been a bad idea considering we culled our olive egger roo that fathered these chickies and I don't have another rooster to breed to (our silkie roo is either too dumb or too infertile to fertilize our eggs).
Well since it’s a brand new incubator chances are it’s accurate! Mine was too and I just noticed the last few hatches the humidity was off.
Fingers crossed for a successful hatch!😊

One of my Cochins hatched with a huge bulging eye. I don't have a picture of it. I haven’t seen that before.
It's sad, it was so pretty but I felt like I needed to cull it.
4 Ameraucana eggs left to hatch, 2 don't look good.
So sorry about your little one with the bad eye. 🙁
I’m considering culling my last chick that hatched as well. It’s not eating and having a hard time getting around despite the shoes.
Fingers crossed at least a few of your eggs hatch.😊

Back
Top Bottom