March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
4/4 Bantam Cochins hatched (1 had to be culled)
10/12 Black Ameraucanas hatched
12/12 Self Blue Ameraucanas hatched (these were shipped eggs)
2 eggs left in the incubator; I'm going give them until morning, but they look a little off.
(I took these pictures right before I took down last 2 hatchers. This is a temporary brooder.)
IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

4/4 Bantam Cochins hatched (1 had to be culled)
10/12 Black Ameraucanas hatched
12/12 Self Blue Ameraucanas hatched (these were shipped eggs)
2 eggs left in the incubator; I'm going give them until morning, but they look a little off.
(I took these pictures right before I took down last 2 hatchers. This is a temporary brooder.)
View attachment 3021846
View attachment 3021847
View attachment 3021849
Wow that’s a great overall hatch rate and especially good rate for shipped eggs! Where did you order them from? What incubator is that out of curiosity?

Congratulations! :celebrate

So I was able to figure out that one of the 2 questionable eggs was no good. There was no movement and the veining was not like the others at all... actually I couldn't really see veining at all... so... being curious... I couldn't just throw the egg out. I wanted to know what day it stopped at... so I cracked it open and it looks like it stopped somewhere between day 8 and 10... I'm not 100% sure but it hasn't been alive for a good while now because it stunk to high heaven. Poor thing. I'm sad because I wanted as many of my welsummer babies as possible to try and get speckled olive eggers. Hopefully the my other 5 welsummer eggs make it to hatch and do well. I've had to crack the lid on my incubator to keep the humidity down to 33 and try to dry the white out a bit to catch up and compensate for higher humidity up until today. I took a picture of the underdeveloped one that quit I'm just not sure posting it would upset anyone...

So what do you do with a baby chick that only wants to be held or it cries constantly? I am wondering if it’s not going to make it. It does quiet down when I hold it though. I’ve seen a teeny tiny poo, I’ve seen it try to eat and drink, and it gets around alright. Is it just cold cuz it’s tiny and a late malpositioned chick? I’m using a brooder plate and all the other chicks need less heat than this little one. I’m just worried about it overnight.

Attachments

• E3270A91-CFCF-49DD-9BF3-E90367F9771A.jpeg
    E3270A91-CFCF-49DD-9BF3-E90367F9771A.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 1
So what do you do with a baby chick that only wants to be held or it cries constantly? I am wondering if it’s not going to make it. It does quiet down when I hold it though. I’ve seen a teeny tiny poo, I’ve seen it try to eat and drink, and it gets around alright. Is it just cold cuz it’s tiny and a late malpositioned chick? I’m using a brooder plate and all the other chicks need less heat than this little one. I’m just worried about it overnight.
I’m a sucker. I would just hold it until bedtime. And hand feed it egg yolk. And dip it’s beak in water. And snuggle some more…

My chicks are too spoiled. I had one weak one I held and hand fed yolk for 4 hours straight on & off, took an hour break then did 2 more hours. 24 hours later she was all perked up.

I’m a little nutty though…If you are as chick crazy as me, that’s what I would recommend.

I’m a sucker. I would just hold it until bedtime. And hand feed it egg yolk. And dip it’s beak in water. And snuggle some more…

My chicks are too spoiled. I had one weak one I held and hand fed yolk for 4 hours straight on & off, took an hour break then did 2 more hours. 24 hours later she was all perked up.

I’m a little nutty though…If you are as chick crazy as me, that’s what I would recommend.
I held her all day long and gave her little drops of Nutridrench, might try egg yolk tomorrow! I’m just worried about overnight when I can’t hold her 😆 I too am a little extra about my chickens 😁😁 thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom