March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I've got a broody hen sitting on four eggs due roughly 21st-23rd since I can't remember the exact date I set them! She's a Silkie who normally goes broody four times a year, she's a pretty reliable sitter and a good mother when they do arrive.

IMG_20220226_105750_212.jpg

I had to get rid of a cockerel due to him being a horrible little git but used some of the eggs from the ladies he ran with so it should be an interesting mix. He was most likely a Welsummer Cross, good to look at, horrible personality.

IMG_20220122_145838_382.jpg

I'd started off with eight eggs all bred from Charlie there;

2x White Silkie
5x White Star (Two different hens)
1x ISA Brown

One Silkie egg didn't take, the ISA Brown egg wasn't fertile and one White Star didn't start either. The last White Star egg I got rid of had a blood ring early on but at least I'm running at 50%, I'd be happy to get one hatch to be honest.

I candled the four remaining ones this morning and it all seems okay? Fingers crossed.

Whew takes a while to catch up on the thread since I haven't been on for a day and a half!🤣
Congrats on every ones hatches so far!😍
DAY 19 and 2 internal PIPS, just added water. Remaining 8 look good.😊

I bought a custom NR360 turner on Etsy here recently. It can hold 30 Silkie sized eggs, instead of the usual 22. Since I had over 2 dozen eggs in storage, how could I not give it a test run?:oops:
Set these on 3/11.
My Silkies lay good sized eggs and some of the egg slots are smaller than others, so it was a matter of fitting the eggs to the slots and testing the turner to make sure they were all getting turned.
And yes, I know there is room for a few more, but I WILL NOT be adding any more...🤣
DAF29744-0DE7-4E2F-AA94-45A87F9F5AC8.jpeg

Whew takes a while to catch up on the thread since I haven't been on for a day and a half!🤣
Congrats on every ones hatches so far!😍
DAY 19 and 2 internal PIPS, just added water. Remaining 8 look good.😊

I bought a custom NR360 turner on Etsy here recently. It can hold 30 Silkie sized eggs, instead of the usual 22. Since I had over 2 dozen eggs in storage, how could I not give it a test run?:oops:
Set these on 3/11.
My Silkies lay good sized eggs and some of the egg slots are smaller than others, so it was a matter of fitting the eggs to the slots and testing the turner to make sure they were all getting turned.
And yes, I know there is room for a few more, but I WILL NOT be adding any more...🤣View attachment 3023510
I don’t suppose we could get a link for that custom turner person?

This little one is doing it’s best to survive! I was getting concerned because she seemed to be constipated and a bit of pasty butt. I gave her Nutridrench and egg yolk yesterday and added a tiny bit of coconut oil to the feed. She tried oooping and only a teeny amount came out so I was thinking I’d need to deal with the pasty butt which I hate doing because it’s very stressful for such a tiny bird. She’s been sleeping in my hand for about an hour and all the sudden my hand got real warm…and the most giant baby chick poop was all over my finger! So glad, and hopeful this will be what she needs!

Back
Top Bottom