March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Sadly we lost 2 eggs. They had pipped, and then didn't progress and just quit. I think they might have drowned because of the humidity problems I caused by following the instructions on the incubator 😣
I still have 5 wiggling around and chirping through the shell, 1 that made it out and is nice and fluffed up and another that broke out within the last 2 hrs and is laying there acclimating to life without a shell and drying off. I'm hoping all my welsummer olive egger eggs hatch and do well. So far I have 1 buff orpington x olive egger, and 1 welsummer x olive egger... hoping most are girls so I can get some speckled olive eggs! Especially considering we've culled our olive egger roo so this is our only chance at this mix with our own eggs

Sadly we lost 2 eggs. They had pipped, and then didn't progress and just quit. I think they might have drowned because of the humidity problems I caused by following the instructions on the incubator 😣
I still have 5 wiggling around and chirping through the shell, 1 that made it out and is nice and fluffed up and another that broke out within the last 2 hrs and is laying there acclimating to life without a shell and drying off. I'm hoping all my welsummer olive egger eggs hatch and do well. So far I have 1 buff orpington x olive egger, and 1 welsummer x olive egger... hoping most are girls so I can get some speckled olive eggs! Especially considering we've culled our olive egger roo so this is our only chance at this mix with our own eggs
Sorry you lost some. :hugs

Every hatch is a learning experience.🙂

So sorry. I lost some to the same mistake the first hatch. You would think you could trust the instructions for the incubator. Now you know what to do different next time though. :hugs

Update: just moved 10 into the brooder. They’re all BCM except for this Silverudd who I am obsessed with.

Three more drying in the incubator, with 1 zip in there to go and a handful of get-busy-tomorrow-or-I-call-it remainders.

Very pleased my shower can get up to 92% humidity. That seems to have worked for transfer without shrink wrapping the zipper.

Attachments

• 8C02661B-CB79-4068-84F6-5F54957A0030.jpeg
    8C02661B-CB79-4068-84F6-5F54957A0030.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 2
I couldn't resist candling my four remaining eggs this morning (day 15 I think) and noticed broody had kicked one out of the nest. Sorry in advance for the bad photos, find it hard holding the torch and camera at the same time!
IMG20220316051652.jpg

Silkie egg filled nicely, seems to have filled out all the way around the egg.

IMG20220316051806.jpg

White Star #1 should be further on than this so I'm guessing this has stopped? Keeping it in just in case..

IMG20220316051916.jpg

White Star #2 has two small splodges either side in the egg and barely filled out so another quitter? This was the one she kicked out so I marked it and put it back in again. WS#3 has filled the egg nicely so I'm not in any doubt about that one.

Update: just moved 10 into the brooder. They’re all BCM except for this Silverudd who I am obsessed with.

Three more drying in the incubator, with 1 zip in there to go and a handful of get-busy-tomorrow-or-I-call-it remainders.

Very pleased my shower can get up to 92% humidity. That seems to have worked for transfer without shrink wrapping the zipper.
We love Silverudd’s Blues!!

So sorry. I lost some to the same mistake the first hatch. You would think you could trust the instructions for the incubator. Now you know what to do different next time though. :hugs
I was so sad! I still had 6 of my 9 eggs hatch luckily and while 2 looked like they might not make it, they're up and about today and fluffing up nicely. They did take very long to dry and fluff up... probably because they had a lot of fluid.... but I'm thankful to have all of my welsummer x olive egger chicks because originally those were the only ones I planned on setting.

Silly question: when eggs go into lockdown on day 18, does that mean no turning that day or that you turn that day then don’t touch them? I set eggs at 9pm March 1st, so that would mean stop touching them after March 18th, right?
Congrats on all your cute fluffy bundles. The eggs exploding into fluff is the best description yet for the exciting moment!

Back
Top Bottom