March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
What is evrybodies experience with 1 year old broody hens? Should I let my Cochin Bantam hatch a few eggs?
Do it! I let my 6 mo pullet keep 1 egg when she went broody. I wish I’d let her keep more. The chick died during hatch it looked like it couldn’t turn to zip but let yours keep more than 1. Learn from my mistake chicken math

I have 2 pips so far with my day 17 Celadons :ya:ya:jumpy

Attachments

• 6B400885-39A2-48F2-9753-068BDA623CFF.jpeg
    6B400885-39A2-48F2-9753-068BDA623CFF.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 2
  • D6A56D2E-CE4D-4732-88E4-D27E3F4D5906.jpeg
    D6A56D2E-CE4D-4732-88E4-D27E3F4D5906.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 2
Well one of my chicks passed last night... she had a really hard hatch and didn't seem to be growing like the others. She slept way more than the others and did nothing but chirped all day and night.... I was really hopeful because she seemed like she night make it, but she was the tiniest and leats active... also my favorite 😔 and the darkest one in color. Now I just have to convince the kids this kind of thing just happens sometimes. She took a really long time to hatch and didn't start moving around for over 24 hrs after she hatched. The only thing that seemed to help was molasses water and then she was up and peeping within an hr... I guess she just wasn't strong ebough.
Sorry you lost the little one.:hugs
Sometimes they just don’t make it no matter what we do.

What is evrybodies experience with 1 year old broody hens? Should I let my Cochin Bantam hatch a few eggs?

Whether they're going to be good at brooding or not doesn't seem to have anything to do with age in my experience! It's a personality thing. This broody is less than 1 year old and she's doing fantastic with her chicks that are over a month old now!

Back
Top Bottom