March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I got 6 self-blue Belgian d’Anver eggs and 9 assorted bantam EE eggs :-D I really don’t have tons of room left, but I figure shipped eggs never have very high hatch rates so I’ll probably be okay! 😆
Well I have three coops. One is perfectly fine. It has 1 Cochin bantam rooster and three Cochin Bantam hens. Although there is room for more. Then I have another large coop that holds an OEGB rooster and 2 Cochin Bantam hens. I have noticed that the neck feathers are becoming scarce on the hens so I nedd a few more hens for him, there is room, I have a broody hen, and I found the eggs of my dreams. What else am I supposed to do but order those eggs? Then the third coop holds a 8 week old Sebright mix pullet and an 8 week old Sebright mix cockerel. Obviously I am going to need another hen for him. So we are getting a pullet that is just under a year. Hoping that they integrate problem free. The thought process is 2 littles who won't challenge the big and 1 big who wont see the littles as a threat. Thank you for reading my story where is does not belong in a hatch a long! (Neither do jokes dummy)

Well I have three coops. One is perfectly fine. It has 1 Cochin bantam rooster and three Cochin Bantam hens. Although there is room for more. Then I have another large coop that holds an OEGB rooster and 2 Cochin Bantam hens. I have noticed that the neck feathers are becoming scarce on the hens so I nedd a few more hens for him, there is room, I have a broody hen, and I found the eggs of my dreams. What else am I supposed to do but order those eggs? Then the third coop holds a 8 week old Sebright mix pullet and an 8 week old Sebright mix cockerel. Obviously I am going to need another hen for him. So we are getting a pullet that is just under a year. Hoping that they integrate problem free. The thought process is 2 littles who won't challenge the big and 1 big who wont see the littles as a threat. Thank you for reading my story where is does not belong in a hatch a long! (Neither do jokes dummy)

Sounds like you have some great breeding pens set up! I've been wanting a Sebright for years and it just never seems to work out.

I have 10 eggs set in my incubator! 9 are at day 6 today and then 1 is at day 1. One of our green queens (named Cricket) had been acting strangely (at first just slower and was limping, then her limp got better, then she started having trouble breathing, and then she sadly passed yesterday.) and a couple of hours before she died, she laid an egg. So I stuck her little egg inside of our incubator (is it to big of a difference from the older eggs?). I candled yesterday and see strong development in all but 1 (who looks to be clear, but we'll see. It would make sense if it weren't fertilized because its from one of our older girls and they don't really tolerate roosters). Our Cream Legbar (named Agnus) was also killed by a hawk so I'm hoping that at least one of the eggs is hers. I'll try to get some candling pictures tonight if I can!
The older 9 are now on lockdown! (Sorry I wasn't able to get candling pictures, things got really busy around here). Crickets egg is in the egg carton atm (the one next to the empty space) with some OEGB chicken eggs (we ended up losing our rooster so we stuck some of eggs of his in, they are on day 5 and I'm actually hoping for a rooster this time!) Also, quick question, is having the humidity at 60-70 going to harm the later eggs? I turn them twice a day. IMG_20220323_101149604.jpg IMG_20220323_101144628.jpg IMG_20220323_101140666.jpg

Sounds like you have some great breeding pens set up! I've been wanting a Sebright for years and it just never seems to work out.
They are mixes though. Eggs we incubated from a hen that died. I hope to sell Cochin eggs soon. Maybe even chicks. Cochin Bantams are actually really good layers. I have 5 hens and have 42 eggs in the fridge even with giving away 2 dozen yesterday. So I plan to integrate all the Cochins... 5 hens and 1 rooster... In my biggest pen and sell hatching eggs on EBay. The hens have turned out to be mean and hard to integrate though.

Nice! Sounds like a good place for more ladies 😍 I have 4 coops 😆 and too many roosters, so I am going to either need more ladies or less boys. We shall see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom