Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Congrats HerbGir1972! Good idea with the straw, I'm going to have to try that next time ;) I really need to post up some pics of the babies I hatched from your eggs. They graduated to the big kid brooder yesterday, so I might actually be able to get some pictures of them once they settle in. So far, none of them look to be cockerels, could I be so lucky (probably not, we'll see!)?

My lonely little chick finally has a buddy! That last, lonely little egg in my incubator was starring back at me when I went to leave for work this morning :D I had sort of forgotten that egg, I think it'd been on lock down for more than a week. It's SO adorable, but a bit of a surprise. It looks like a dark partridge, it hasn't fluffed all the way out yet, so I'm still waiting to see what its really going to look like. All of my Silkies are blue, black and splash, hence the surprise, someone in one of my pens is throwing partridge. And the little splash Silkie I hatched about a week ago is a Sizzle, its grown cute little frizzled feathers on its wing tips!
*Pics coming soon*

Almost a week! I had a staggered hatch going on, there were two groups of eggs in there. The splash chick is from the first batch I put in. The little partridge was supposed to hatch with the second group, at least I thought. Its possible someone slipped an egg into the incubator after I put the others in. I have an auto turner, so I don't mess with the eggs too much. I only candled the second batch on days 7 and 14, so I didn't check them just before I moved them to the hatcher. I did check them when hatch time rolled around and they didn't hatch though. I found that one egg still alive, so I left it in there :)

I had a HORRIBLE hatch rate this time. I set somewhere around 40 eggs, and only ended up with 2 chicks :/ I did have a ton of clear eggs, though. I don't know if it was the time of the year and my roosters being lazy, or if it was the cold or what. And then the long power outages didn't do much good for the eggs that actually did develop. I might collect another batch of eggs to start again this week, but I'm not sure. I have chicks everywhere, so I might have to pack the 'bator away for a little while so I'm just not even tempted!

I am excited for everyone! I am on day 19, I have been in the dining room about 50 times already looking for early pips, oh the anticipation!! I just told myself I will not go look again until the UK game it over......well, maybe at halftime I will have a peak
hide.gif

Congrats HerbGir1972! Good idea with the straw, I'm going to have to try that next time ;) I really need to post up some pics of the babies I hatched from your eggs. They graduated to the big kid brooder yesterday, so I might actually be able to get some pictures of them once they settle in. So far, none of them look to be cockerels, could I be so lucky (probably not, we'll see!)?

My lonely little chick finally has a buddy! That last, lonely little egg in my incubator was starring back at me when I went to leave for work this morning :D I had sort of forgotten that egg, I think it'd been on lock down for more than a week. It's SO adorable, but a bit of a surprise. It looks like a dark partridge, it hasn't fluffed all the way out yet, so I'm still waiting to see what its really going to look like. All of my Silkies are blue, black and splash, hence the surprise, someone in one of my pens is throwing partridge. And the little splash Silkie I hatched about a week ago is a Sizzle, its grown cute little frizzled feathers on its wing tips!
*Pics coming soon*

Congrats on your hatch
And I can't wait to see your babies. We have what appears to be 1 pair of red colored EE's left from all of Bilbo's babies. Which includes yours and 1 other in my baby pen right now.
The polish mixes are so cute, were keeping the 2 light colored EE's.
My bantams eggs were pullet but they looked developed and moving at candling. We're not giving up yet, but I do have a set of eggs due in as soon as the peacock hatches...lol
We also used a straw to add a little more water in the big chamber thru a vent that was over a space we could reach.

Last edited:
Update: I have 5 babies in the brooder, one that just hatched giving me a total of 6 chirpy babies at the moment, still some eggs in the incubator I will candle after a bit to see if they are moving or whats going on, hope they are just late bloomers, I also have one that pipped yesterday, still breathing but hasn't come out yet :/ hope she makes it, last night we had one die that was pipped its beak was sticking out of the shell and no movement, not sure what happened, but for a first time hatch could be worse lol

Almost a week! I had a staggered hatch going on, there were two groups of eggs in there. The splash chick is from the first batch I put in. The little partridge was supposed to hatch with the second group, at least I thought. Its possible someone slipped an egg into the incubator after I put the others in. I have an auto turner, so I don't mess with the eggs too much. I only candled the second batch on days 7 and 14, so I didn't check them just before I moved them to the hatcher. I did check them when hatch time rolled around and they didn't hatch though. I found that one egg still alive, so I left it in there
smile.png

I had a HORRIBLE hatch rate this time. I set somewhere around 40 eggs, and only ended up with 2 chicks
hmm.png
I did have a ton of clear eggs, though. I don't know if it was the time of the year and my roosters being lazy, or if it was the cold or what. And then the long power outages didn't do much good for the eggs that actually did develop. I might collect another batch of eggs to start again this week, but I'm not sure. I have chicks everywhere, so I might have to pack the 'bator away for a little while so I'm just not even tempted!

Now was it a horrible hatch rate or a horrible fertility rate?

Back
Top Bottom