Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
I have 14 eggs saved up already. I have to have 40 by Sunday. I'm getting about 7 eggs a day from my 11 hens I have separated, and of those I only save about 4 or 5 because a few are always dirty or mishaped some how. I hope I can meet by dead line so I can get the eggs set on the 1st!

What's the saying... "Have empty bator will fill"? "Leave no bator left unfilled!"? Something like that. Yep, moved the solo hatcher today to the brooder, cleaned the Mini and just filled it up again. I will still have an empty bator for the Easter HAL *if* I don't fill the one that's due to hatch next Tuesday... And I really should rig up a drying box if not a full hatcher soon....
ya.gif

My eggs that I started Sunday are in a Hovabator, everything is staying nice and steady so far. I ended up getting more eggs from someone local (barnyard mix), and also the shipped Barred Rocks are in that one. I finally received my missing Silver Laced Wyandottes in the the mail Monday. I set them this morning in a LG I bought on sale at Tractor Supply. I can not get the temperature up on this thing! It is still air, at one point later in the morning is was at 100. It has since dropped to 98 and I have been working all night to get it back up. The heating unit shuts off before it even reaches the set temp. It is digital, and off by about 3 degrees. I am using a different thermomater. I have bottles of water in to help hold the heat, and just added 4 more half pint jars of hot water. I have also covered the windows with a towel. I am not holding out much hope for these eggs since they were in the mail system for seven days, and it was extremely cold. Now this! I really need to get this straightened out because I bought more eggs from an auction on here last night. If those eggs were not on the way I would take this thing back, and just order another Hovabator...
he.gif

LGs are a real pain sometimes. I've never had any other brand though. I didn't want to spend any real money until i knew i liked hatching. I will probably buy something better in the future now that I know how crazy fun and addicting it is!

It should stabilize eventually. One of mine is digital, and I keep it set about 1.5 degrees higher than I actually want it because it does exactly what you are talking about. Try setting it at 102 or 103 and it should go up to about 101. It will flash about a degree +/-, but your eggs should be OK.

Thanks, that is exactly what I just did. Just hoping it doesn't decide to go true to temperature and cook them. Them temp is 98 on the floor and 99 at egg level. Hopefully it will go up
fl.gif

I worried about that for a long time too, but it never does get up to what you set it at. Just to be safe, make sure that you are around to keep an eye on it. don't set it to 104 then go to work! Plus, If you have ever put a thermometer in a water wiggler, you know that it takes HOURS for an egg to get to the same temp as the incubator. I'm trying that for the first time right now and I had the incubator up to 112 for over an hour and my wiggler was still at 99.9 (no eggs in there of course.)

Today is my birthday so I just set another batch, coincidentally my first ever mailed eggs started hatching today and will share my birthday. the lady said it was a good thing it was a snow day so she could watch them.
i have another batch of black malays from mail = 7 eggs
porcelain d'uccles from mail = 12
my own d'uccles = 31

total = 50 eggs in a LG with fan and autoturner, they will be double stacked until day 10 when I pull the clears. adding the eggs to the warm bator drove the temps way down!

here is a pic of them all

Holy smokes! I assume you an stack the d'uccle eggs as they are little? Interesting idea!
My Splash Marans seemed like they barely fit. Each is around 75-80 grams! The Blue Marans are right above them.

My eggs that I started Sunday are in a Hovabator, everything is staying nice and steady so far. I ended up getting more eggs from someone local (barnyard mix), and also the shipped Barred Rocks are in that one. I finally received my missing Silver Laced Wyandottes in the the mail Monday. I set them this morning in a LG I bought on sale at Tractor Supply. I can not get the temperature up on this thing! It is still air, at one point later in the morning is was at 100. It has since dropped to 98 and I have been working all night to get it back up. The heating unit shuts off before it even reaches the set temp. It is digital, and off by about 3 degrees. I am using a different thermomater. I have bottles of water in to help hold the heat, and just added 4 more half pint jars of hot water. I have also covered the windows with a towel. I am not holding out much hope for these eggs since they were in the mail system for seven days, and it was extremely cold. Now this! I really need to get this straightened out because I bought more eggs from an auction on here last night. If those eggs were not on the way I would take this thing back, and just order another Hovabator...
he.gif
I tried that TS LG still air on my first hatch. Stick with the Hovabator. I was so disgusted that I bought a Brinsea

Back
Top Bottom