• 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Not to beat a dead horse, but.....
Here's a quote from another article on increasing storage viability through pre-warming eggs.

"All eggs were stored for 15 d at 16°C and 75% RH. On the second day after oviposition, half of the eggs were incubated for 7 h (PSI). During storage, half of the eggs were warmed 6 times for 30 min in water at 37.8°C (FW). During the first 5 d of incubation, the CO(2) concentration in the incubator was maintained between 0.70 and 0.80% (HI) or increased from 0.05 to 0.20% (control). Prestorage incubation and FW increased the stage of embryonic development and the number of viable embryonic cells, but these treatments did not have a pronounced effect on egg characteristics, hatchability, or chick quality."

ETA: As you can see, it does not change the final stage of incubation outcomes, but it DOES make the eggs more viable. Meaning more eggs make it to the final stage. I'd imagine your normal rates of hatchability would apply at that point. Like if you typically have an 80% hatch rate, this would neither be increase or decreased by prewarming. Same with chick quality- no increase or decrease.

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse, but.....
Here's a quote from another article on increasing storage viability through pre-warming eggs.

"All eggs were stored for 15 d at 16°C and 75% RH. On the second day after oviposition, half of the eggs were incubated for 7 h (PSI). During storage, half of the eggs were warmed 6 times for 30 min in water at 37.8°C (FW). During the first 5 d of incubation, the CO(2) concentration in the incubator was maintained between 0.70 and 0.80% (HI) or increased from 0.05 to 0.20% (control). Prestorage incubation and FW increased the stage of embryonic development and the number of viable embryonic cells, but these treatments did not have a pronounced effect on egg characteristics, hatchability, or chick quality."

ETA: As you can see, it does not change the final stage of incubation outcomes, but it DOES make the eggs more viable. Meaning more eggs make it to the final stage. I'd imagine your normal rates of hatchability would apply at that point. Like if you typically have an 80% hatch rate, this would neither be increase or decreased by prewarming. Same with chick quality- no increase or decrease.

So it would make so that 80% instead of 50% made it to lockdown but that you would still get 80% hatch of those that went into lockdown correct?

i like to think of eggs like seeds their dormant until given water & once they start you cant deprive them or they perish 

lol sorry if thats random

You must've noticed my first hobby in my signature... ;)
In one sense, you are right. That is why eggs laid over a week or two apart by hens all hatch within a few days of each other. However, this research is referring to maintaining viability. So, going back to the seed and water analogy: if you had seeds in a very dry environment for an extended period, they would get dried out and become less viable. If you gave them a shot of humidity, their viability would be extended. So, by giving the eggs a shot of heat, you are building up cell growth that would normally be lost over long periods of storage.
Several months ago, I actually read about a breeder on here who incubated their eggs for three DAYS before shipping them out to purchasers. They reportedly had excellent hatch rates. I don't know if I'd take it that far, but I think it goes to show that eggs can handle more variables than people give them credit for.

Shipped eggs should be arriving either tomorrow or Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed the cold doesn't damage them. They are traveling from Florida to the tip of Maine, and we are still having -13 below nights here. I'm a little worried about how cold the eggs will get, Really hoping they arrive ok. I will be setting them after 24 hours.

Last edited:
You must've noticed my first hobby in my signature...
wink.png

In one sense, you are right. That is why eggs laid over a week or two apart by hens all hatch within a few days of each other. However, this research is referring to maintaining viability. So, going back to the seed and water analogy: if you had seeds in a very dry environment for an extended period, they would get dried out and become less viable. If you gave them a shot of humidity, their viability would be extended. So, by giving the eggs a shot of heat, you are building up cell growth that would normally be lost over long periods of storage.
Several months ago, I actually read about a breeder on here who incubated their eggs for three DAYS before shipping them out to purchasers. They reportedly had excellent hatch rates. I don't know if I'd take it that far, but I think it goes to show that eggs can handle more variables than people give them credit for.
lol actually i didnt i just enjoy agriculture :p

I understand what you are saying & im not disagreeing.I keep my eggs no longer then 2 weeks & the whole time i treat them as if their alive already which they technically are they just are stuck until given certain variables to develop with.I keep them at room temperature so they don't start developing until im ready for them too & they dont get cold enough to hurt them.

You must've noticed my first hobby in my signature...
wink.png

Hmm, that's very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom