Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Candled for day 14 lost one CCL but all the rest are doing great. So far its a 15/24 rate now to let them cook until Wednesday night for lockdown. I am pretty proud of this hatch for being my first.

Thats awesome. You are doing way better than I did on my first hatch. Don't forget to mark your air cells. It will help a lot when you set them for lockdown.

Quote:I cover the bottom half of my cheap incubator to help stabalise the temperature. When I was doing a dry run, the temperature got too high when I covered the top as well (leaving the ventilation holes clear). So my personal recommendation is cover the bottom half at the most on cheap incubators.

Quote:My incubators are in the warmest room of the house. I start by preparing everything for candling and weighing the eggs (sterile gloves, scales, torch), then I switch the incubator off, take the top off and candle until I'm done. Once finished, just switch it back on!

Last edited:
Eggs are in! I let them sit for 24 hours on the counter, then popped them in. Since they are shipped eggs, I am going to just let them be for 2 days with no touching/turning. The air cells were REALLY wobbly, really hoping I can get some to hatch. There are only 8 in the incubator, the ebay seller sent 14 total, so I gave the rest of them to my mom who also has chickens and happens to have a broody right now.

Fingers crossed I can get some to hatch!

Okay...to all those who have sent me PM's for the info and joining, i will reply to them tomorrow!!! I wasnt home this whole weekend, so i just got ack now!

Sorry for the inconveniance!

Locking down the next set. Think I was supposed to yesterday since they're due Tues. Keep doing that! We'll see what pops out this time! Note to self - Need to pick up another hot plate before Tues!

3 out of 7 so far with two more pipped! Two haven't pipped yet but the end of day 21 isn't until 5 tonight! I'll post pictures when they're dry!!!!

Hoping I did the PM correctly...

A neighbor lost her female duck a few nights ago (poor drake is all alone now). She didn't know she had a nest and was laying, and discovered it shortly after the duck was killed. Long story short, small town less than a square mile in size, literally in the middle of nowhere, rumor has it I'm the local chicken expert and can do anything (these rumors are lies, don't believe a word of it). So I was contacted and recruited to try and hatch 3 lone duck eggs.

I have never done duck eggs before, and I am quite nervous about it. I generally have a 90%+ hatch rate with my own chicken eggs, but we all know anything could go wrong. 21 days is bad enough, 28 will be pure torture. I'm fairly certain they aren't Muscovy eggs, but I honestly don't know the breed.

The eggs are a bit dirty, but not filthy.

One problem, though. One egg has a couple of small cracks on it. Membrane is still intact, and the cracks are in the air cell area, so I'm hoping it will be okay. I put some quick dry clear coat nail polish on the cracks, because I didn't have anything else.

Set them yesterday afternoon.

Hoping I did the PM correctly...

A neighbor lost her female duck a few nights ago (poor drake is all alone now). She didn't know she had a nest and was laying, and discovered it shortly after the duck was killed. Long story short, small town less than a square mile in size, literally in the middle of nowhere, rumor has it I'm the local chicken expert and can do anything (these rumors are lies, don't believe a word of it). So I was contacted and recruited to try and hatch 3 lone duck eggs.

I have never done duck eggs before, and I am quite nervous about it. I generally have a 90%+ hatch rate with my own chicken eggs, but we all know anything could go wrong. 21 days is bad enough, 28 will be pure torture. I'm fairly certain they aren't Muscovy eggs, but I honestly don't know the breed.

The eggs are a bit dirty, but not filthy.

One problem, though. One egg has a couple of small cracks on it. Membrane is still intact, and the cracks are in the air cell area, so I'm hoping it will be okay. I put some quick dry clear coat nail polish on the cracks, because I didn't have anything else.

Set them yesterday afternoon.
Will check tomorrow!! But i thin kyou got it right!

I canceled about 3 of my quail eggs, and 2 aren't fertile and 1 had some veins I got excited knowing at least 1 of the 3 I canceled are growing

Back
Top Bottom