Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
I checked all of the unhatched eggs - all dead. A few of the dark Welsummer eggs were clear (or had died very early, hard to tell). The rest were fully formed but dead. I am so sad! I had 8 out of 40 eggs hatch.

The temperature was great the whole time, but I wonder if the humidity was too high. I didn't have a hygrometer and now I'm really kicking myself for not getting one.

I checked all of the unhatched eggs - all dead. A few of the dark Welsummer eggs were clear (or had died very early, hard to tell). The rest were fully formed but dead. I am so sad! I had 8 out of 40 eggs hatch.

The temperature was great the whole time, but I wonder if the humidity was too high. I didn't have a hygrometer and now I'm really kicking myself for not getting one. 

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry that's horrible. Well on the bright side, at least you got 8 chicks

That's too bad! Is it your first time? My first batch I only got 12/37.

In my first hatch I got 43 out of 45 but I suffered a great loss with my ducklings where I only got, 6 out of 15

I am up to 21 chicks hatched, with at least a dozen more pipping! I am so excited to see them coming out!

Interestingly the barnyard experiment so far has the advantage to the traditional laying on their sides eggs. 7 of those have hatched so far to only 5 of the upright eggs. I am curious to see if the trend continues.

I would say that you to high humidity.
EDIT: You should try dry hatching as said here> https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom