Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Indeed. I ordered a nice one from Amazon that should be here next week to use with my next hatch. My husband decided that we needed a nicer incubator, so it looks like we'll be returning the Janoel and getting a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco. Yay!

Switched to shavings, at least for today. They're having a BALL 'dust bathing' in it! Too funny! The brooder sure is going to be a mess tonight tho! Oh we'll, I can clean it again. They're practicing valuable skills right? Lol

Yesterday I set 45 eggs to hatch on March 28th. I'm trying to beat the "Easter rush" so that I will have chicks to sell for Easter weekend. Usually I have a very good hatch rate on everything except my Legbar eggs. This time I set:
6 Black copper marans eggs
15 Crested Cream Legbar
7 Ameraucana
17 Araucana/Isbar mix

Looking forward to candling next weekend and seeing how many are clear and how many are fertile!

Yesterday I set 45 eggs to hatch on March 28th. I'm trying to beat the "Easter rush" so that I will have chicks to sell for Easter weekend. Usually I have a very good hatch rate on everything except my Legbar eggs. This time I set:
15 Crested Cream Legbar
7 Ameraucana
17 Araucana/Isbar mix

Looking forward to candling next weekend and seeing how many are clear and how many are fertile!
woot.gif

15 Crested Cream Legbar
7 Ameraucana
17 Araucana/Isbar mix

I have trouble with my Cream Legbar hatch rate as well.

Switched to shavings, at least for today. They're having a BALL 'dust bathing' in it! Too funny! The brooder sure is going to be a mess tonight tho! Oh we'll, I can clean it again. They're practicing valuable skills right? Lol

They sure are!
lol.png
I like to put a bowl of dirt in with my chicks. It provides hours of entertainment. (and not just for the chicks
wink.png
)

It's been a tough week trying to get my second incubator temp stable for my first lock down, of my staggered hatch of 3. My first lock down is tomorrow!!! I finally realized my second incubator is no good, My neighbor brought me her incubator, whew, thank God for good neighbors, she saved my hatch!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote: I gave up on the legbars. The rooster is gone, so now the hens are being crossed with an olive rooster. The chicks will not be purebred, but at least they are hatching.
On my first three hatches, here is how it went:
#1 Non-legbar eggs: 100% hatch. Pure Legbar: 0%
#2 Non-legbar eggs: 100%, Pure legbar 0% (rooster for all eggs was a pure legbar, so he clearly was able to reproduce, just not with the legbar hens)
#3 Non-legbar eggs: 93%, Legbars x eggs 75%

Back
Top Bottom