Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Good Luck!

woot.gif
Praying for you that there will be MANY fertile ones!

Thanks! I'll keep you posted!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

I had 45 eggs make it to lockdown. 26 healthy chicks are in the brooder now, 2 assists are still in the incubator deciding whether to make it or not, and three others who took too long a break during pipping apparently had the membranes dry out too much ( I wrapped each of the three in a moist paper towel and softened them up) and are seeing if the will come out or not. Just as I was typing this I heard a commotion and one of the popped out!

I am not sure why the membranes dried out as I had the humidity at 70% for lockdown. I had fourteen eggs go without pipping, mostly barnyard mix, but one speckled Sussex and one white Orpington as well.

The second pic shows the one white Orpington that hatched, just a beautiful chick. One of the BBS Orpington chicks that hatched looks like it has several shades of gray (I think that's a blue) and my wife wants to name it Christian if it's a roo (think the book/movie everyone loves or hates). I told her we could do that If I could name one Vader. She got this "I married a nerd" look on her face. Anyway, I am happy to have a bunch of healthy chicks and am waiting for some EE and Rhode Island red eggs I am picking up next week for my next batch.

A maran just hatched... a little longer hatch than the other breeds I've noticed... but one before this one was "sticky" and this one seems to be also... has some gunk by the vent and it's completly out of the egg but still hadn't straightened it's neck.. hoping all is well in the morning, any experience with this?
My Marans hatch later than my other eggs, too. If he's sticky you should try to wash him off so he will dry and the down will fluff out. I use hot water and dish soap. Only had it happen once but it worked like a charm.

12 Crested Cream Legbar eggs made it to lockdown today.Only one looked questionable. I'm thinking about removing it. It has a few black looking veins with breaks in them? Does this mean death of the embryo?

Does this look dead? I did not see movement in the egg .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom