Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
There was an issue with our electric company the first part of the month, and there were dips and power surges like crazy. Ended up losing all the eggs in their last week of development, save two...a little Silkie who hatched a day late, and two days after that, an Ameraucana who managed to zip about an inch before the membrane dried it's foot fast to it's head so much the poor baby could only wiggle one toe. I got the top of the egg off and dampened everything down enough that the chick managed to get out of the rest of the shell on it's own so that all yolk was absorbed. I was gutted about the 2-1/2+ dozen eggs with dead, mostly developed, chicks inside. But the two chicks that made it, both are doing just fine and are growing like weeds, and for that I'm very thankful.

What part of Oregon are you in? I'm near Seattle, but would be interested in doing an egg trade of some kind if you'd like.  I have not tried shipped eggs because I'm afraid they wouldn't hatch due to damage during transport.  Mostly I have EEs, turkens and some olive eggers, but I should have a couple more breeding pens set up by summer.  

That would be fun but I'm way down on the Southern Oregon Coast about 4.5 hours south of Portland.

I just had a chick hatch about 5 minutes ago. 1 down, 32 to go. There are 11 more pips (2 on the wrong end). It's day 21 so they are a bit slow but I'm thinking maybe it's because of the power outage we had a couple weeks ago. These eggs were also stacked in the incubator most of the last 3 weeks because of some over - excited chicken math. I'm not sure how this will effect the hatch.

There was an issue with our electric company the first part of the month, and there were dips and power surges like crazy.  Ended up losing all the eggs in their last week of development, save two...a little Silkie who hatched a day late, and two days after that, an Ameraucana who managed to zip about an inch before the membrane dried it's foot fast to it's head so much the poor baby could only wiggle one toe.  I got the top of the egg off and dampened everything down enough that the chick managed to get out of the rest of the shell on it's own so that all yolk was absorbed. I was gutted about the 2-1/2+ dozen eggs with dead, mostly developed, chicks inside. But the two chicks that made it, both are doing just fine and are growing like weeds, and for that I'm very thankful.  

Sorry to hear about your cruddy power company issues. I've had some rough times lately with eggs too. Try not to let it get you down.

I took my eggs off the turner today and put them into cartons (I got that dreaded task over!), so I guess this is lock down. I few of the eggs (3 or 4) don't looked fully developed, so I'm guessing their dead. The others all look fine. I'm very nervous at this point, I sure hope I have a good hatch!

Ok, slow day in here, so here's an update on my March 6 hatch. They moved to the outside brooder last weekend which was converted from one of my first coops, a little prefab from TS. It's my favorite brooder. They have almost found the roost
big_smile.png

My intent was to sell these, but I am in love. Looks like I have 4 roos and 7 girls (I split the hatch with my friend who gave me the eggs), so guess it's time to build another coop...
I was going to just keep a roo to put in my girl's only pen, which has 4 EEs in it, but they have been girls only for 5 years and I don't want to disrupt the harmony

Eggs are finally on lockdown as of 10 minutes ago. 4 made it out of 8 originally set. Now comes the nervous waiting, hoping and praying I get all 4 to hatch. I filled the water reservoir to the brim in my mini brinsea eco, I hope it's not too much humidity. The instructions said to fill it up over the divider, but I have read some posts that say that is too much. Not sure who is right!!

ONE BABY! I just checked on Fiona, one baby is out, and still wet. One more is pipped, that I can see, but didn't want to be too disruptive! OMG I just love babies! Ill post pics as soon as I can!

Back
Top Bottom