Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
^ Herb, how long does it take peas to hatch? :fl for you! I know it can be SUPER stressful when you're hoping and praying for that one egg to hatch!

And, I'm at it again! I was browsing our local sales network (golsn, for all you folks that like to shop and swap in Tn) and found an ad that was looking for someone to hatch some eggs. They're in my town, so I figured why not? I have 6+ dozen RIR, white Leghorn and blue OEGB eggs coming tomorrow. And I have 3 dozen of my own eggs sitting in my laundry room :oops: I'll have to fire up both 'bators for this job. I've also got 3 broodies sitting on golf balls, waiting for something real to hatch! The broodies were what made me pull the trigger on taking this guys eggs. They all decided to go at the same time, and I was thinking about ordering more chicks from Ideal. This will work out better, I think. We're splitting whatever hatches (though he did offer to pay, I'd rather have the chicks, of course). Now I won't have to spend my money or deal with shipping and stress. Though, with that many eggs, I might pull most of my hair out anyway. I can only fit 41 in the turner, I might be able to give the broodies 6 or 7 each, and I'll be hand turning the rest. This should be interesting!

I couldn't stand seeing all that empty space in my incubator so I added 24 more "homegrown" EE/RSL. It's a 10 1/2 day stagger, so I don't anticipate any issues. When the first eggs go into lockdown, I'll be completing the first candling on the second batch and won't have to touch the incubator for nearly a week.

I still have two empty trays waiting for turkeys!!!

i had set 50 eggs on my birthday (2/24), 7 were malay from mail order, 12 were porcelain d'uccles from mail order and 31 were d'uccles from my own stock. none of the malays ever developed. of the 12 porcelain d'uccles i had,11 developing (w/1 blood ring) until midway. 3 of those hatched, 1 had to be helped but seems fine, 1 pipped low and i helped it out but it had a deformity and died a few days later. one of my own stock piped early and came out not closed, so its internals slipped out-that one died too. The rest of the d'uccles from my own stock gave me 8 blacks and 4 splash. one of the blacks was having difficulty haching and turned out to be a 'sticky chick'-i had to clear the fluid from around its nose and it dried so crunchy...dont know what is in this stuff. that little one and one of the splashes are on the 'watch' and care list, getting more attention since they both cant stand well. history says they wont probably make it but i have to try.

so that is 17 out of 50...34%

i have another batch of just 10 home grown d'uccle eggs i put in on the 27th, 9 of those made it to lock down. they were sprayed with the ascorbic acid treatment. most are out now, two are left in incubator being slowly helped out.

topically applied ascorbic acid (turns to vitamin c in body) is supposed(based on multiple scientific papers) to help survivability in late term and hatching
I don't want to offend anyone here....but that sounds like the spray that you see on eBay all the time, and they also try to advertise it on the swap pages on facebook. They claim to increase fertility and such ( is not possible, the egg is fertile or not) anyway...on my local FB page it is made fun of as "snake oil"

Last edited:
I don't want to offend anyone here....but that sounds like the spray that you see on eBay all the time, and they also try to advertise it on the swap pages on facebook. They claim to increase fertility and such ( is not possible, the egg is fertile or not) anyway...on my local FB page it is made fun of as "snake oil"

My rational thinking is, if there was such a product that could help out....it would be flying off the shelves. But then again, everything starts from somewhere right? I would be interested to know your results

no offense! i know, that 'guy' claims some stupid crap-showing a blood ring as an example. the papers are there though but the data takes some reading through to parse, different ones choose different species (avian of course) and different time periods to apply and even reapply. there are a few more things you can do to improve egg hatching (even pointy end up if they are to be stored longer than 5 days) and a few topicals are statistically shown to work (maternal diet and age will apply BEFORE laying). i have even looked into that perwarming technique and it seems to have merit if you want to long term store them. but they have to be done right. the ascorbic acid works but they dont know how and i wonder even if it is not taken internally but just works as an added anti bacterial.i decided to try it though.

Back
Top Bottom