Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Did anyone order a cocoa puff?

0.jpg

As of this morning, I've got 3 chicks! Started with 7, 4 made it to lockdown. I'm not too sure about the last egg hatching, but I wasn't too sure about the one that popped out this morning either! So, if that last one hasn't had any development by the time I get home from work this evening, the 3 Amigos here will go into the brooder and the incubator will get cleaned out for the next batch of eggs. If it does show signs of pipping, it'll stay in the incubator until it hatches. I'm very interested to see how they develop and what they'll look like full grown (they're Silver Sebright over Golden Laced Polish). This was a fun first time hatch for me! I'm glad I was able to join this HAL for it. :)
Unfortunately, this little guy just died. It was 1 of the 2 eggs I thought looked under developed at lockdown. Its belly was a bit distended & still had what looked like a bit of umbilical cord still attached. I knew this could happen but I'm still sad about it. The remaining 2 seem fine & even started eating their chick feed.

Oh, Uzi, I'm so sorry...I lost one of my babies too, she internally pipped then just up and quit. It's heartbreaking. :/ I'm glad you still have two beautiful healthy babies to keep you occupied, though! They're real cuties!

Sorry to hear it! I had 2 out of 12 that didn't make it. I cried a lot that day. Kind of heartbreaking......especially after doing all that work to get out of that egg. My 13 yo daughter said.....mom, I wished she wouldn't even have hatched. Would have been easier, but oh well. Enjoy your 2 beautiful babies! .....And I was thinking you were planning to start some more eggs?

We have achieved lock down. 29 of the 36 I started with made it to lockdown. I decided to hatch in egg cartons mostly because when I candled most of my air sacs were right at the top of the egg. It seemed like that would be a better position for them, I'm only guessing though after reading a bunch of thread I did read too many negatives. Got my humidity up to 45% but I'm going to see what I can do about getting it higher. Any tips?

Unfortunately, this little guy just died. It was 1 of the 2 eggs I thought looked under developed at lockdown. Its belly was a bit distended & still had what looked like a bit of umbilical cord still attached. I knew this could happen but I'm still sad about it. The remaining 2 seem fine & even started eating their chick feed.
I am sorry. I had one I actually had to put down last time. It sounded much the same. It is so heartbreaking. I feel you.
hit.gif

We have achieved lock down. 29 of the 36 I started with made it to lockdown. I decided to hatch in egg cartons mostly because when I candled most of my air sacs were right at the top of the egg. It seemed like that would be a better position for them, I'm only guessing though after reading a bunch of thread I did read too many negatives. Got my humidity up to 45% but I'm going to see what I can do about getting it higher. Any tips?
Sponges with water. I used egg cartons last time. I'm going flat this time. Let me know if you see any difference and I will chime in as well!

Did you use an egg turner?

I hatched mine in cut down egg cartons with holes cut in the bottom, it worked pretty well. I did have one egg that zipped up and down, instead of around the top. I used a wire coat hanger through the vent hole to get it out of the carton to the floor. I was also having problems with humidity even with extra sponges. I rolled up a paper towel and wet it with hot water, then put it half way down the vent hole. Every so often I just pulled it out and re-wet it with hot water. Good luck on your hatch!

I used very hot water that I heated in the microwave each time

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom