Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
I bought hatching eggs, 3 each of 3 breeds. 6 hatched, 2 of each. Now I'm pretty sure I have a pair of each! What are the odds if that??!?!

Update. My March HAL EEs first day outside in their new home

Awesome! My February hatch is just 8 weeks old now. They only get to go out during the day since it is still too cold at night to leave them on their own. I just kept two pullets and sold the rest (all 48 of them).
They are so pretty. How cold do you get at night up there? I just put my 6 and 7 Week Olds out full time but we are right on the coast so it's in the 40 's at night. They seem fine but all 8 of them can cuddle if needed.

Quote: We are in the mountains and have had a spring time cold snap. It was in the mid 30s for a couple of nights (33 - 34). I think this week should be in the 40s at night and around 50 during the day. The coop they are in does not have a house or shelter, so I can't leave them in there at night or during really bad weather. They are still a bit small to go in the coop with the other chickens. I just weighed them...they are 1.5 pounds. Maybe in 2 more weeks they can join the flock.

The 3 units against the wall are each set with 30+ eggs, and spaced a week apart. For lock down we move the eggs into the front box which is set up as a hatcher. And to think we started out with just a single incubator back in February. It's only an addiction when you seek help...right?

The 3 units against the wall are each set with 30+ eggs, and spaced a week apart. For lock down we move the eggs into the front box which is set up as a hatcher. And to think we started out with just a single incubator back in February. It's only an addiction when you seek help...right?
Wow. What do you do with all the chick's?

Our intentions were to use the incubators to raise our personal yearly freezer supply and to expand our egg laying production for the local markets. (we need to expand our layer flock from 25, to about 75 for next year) However, we have found that there is also a demand for chicks & started chickens around here as well. We've got 2, possibly 3 orders right now for our birds. One is for 50, another for just 4 or 5. We deliver the birds in person instead of risking them to the woes of shipping. Some orders have come from in from 2 or 3 hours travel distance from our farm. We have also been asked if we offer dressed birds, which we could do now that the incubators are in full swing.

and then there's that addicting-box-of-chocolates thing when it comes to hatchin chickies...

Back
Top Bottom