MARCH HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hatch day was set for Friday, we expected them to be a bit late since our last batch was a full 2 days late, but Friday morning we woke up to babies! So far we have 11 of 20, still hoping the others will hatch :S Fingers crossed.

We have one buff brahma/Ameraucana mix and I am psyched! I just love their little foot feathers!! The rest are EE's.

How long can it be from first chick hatching to last one? They were all fully formed with air sacs when I candled a few days ago. This hatch has gone great as far as humidity and temp, having an egg turner has been a lifesaver.

These chicks are even cuter than the last ones!! I didn't think it was possible, but they are just darling.

Last edited:
I went to bed with 9-10 pips
here is what I woke up to:
35593_march6a.jpg

35593_march6b.jpg

35593_march6c.jpg

35593_march6d.jpg

35593_march6e.jpg

35593_march6f.jpg

35593_march6g.jpg

35593_march6h.jpg

yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif

My first baby has started to crack through the shell! Another is rocking around in the incubator and there's a lot of chirping going on!! I'm so excited...too bad these chickies are all being sold
sad.png
. Oh well, at least I get to have them while they're the cutest!

Quote:
The thing about disposable drapes - most have a moisture barrier built in. If that is the case then I think it might interfere w/humidity. Also, most are pretty slick and newly hatched chicks need enough texture to keep their feet from sliding - causing 'splay-leg'. I cover the wire with rubber 'waffle' shelf liner. Good footing, washable and reusable. I also use it over paper towels on top of the litter in my brooder for the first 2-3 days, same reason plus the chicks have found their food and are less likely to eat the litter.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck with your hatch. Don't forget Pix!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
pop.gif
caf.gif

Quote:
Thanks gamebirdsonly.
pop.gif
caf.gif
I'm sitting here watching my Wellies as I type. They are getting so big! They'll be ready to go to the Porch coop soon. Are your new babies from your German lines or your Dutch lines?

Quote:
Ahhh -
lau.gif
The short answer is hatching chicks from fertile eggs bought from a store - meant for eating. These eggs have all been washed, refrigerated and shipped, all the things supposed to be "bad" for eggs, rendering them 'un-hatchable
lol.png

The long answer: Some stores like Trader Joe's [usually stores that carry organic and 'Natural' foods] sell fertile eggs [meant for eating]. Someone decided to see if they would hatch, and turns out, sometimes they DO!
ep.gif
There are several BYC members who have done it, most recently someone in the January-Hatchalong, Who bought 4 dozen TJ's eggs and set them, hoping for 3 or 4 chicks. They hatched like popcorn and she ended up with more than 30 chicks!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
, anyway, someone suggested a 'TJ chicken club. Some of us had found fertile 'store-bought' eggs at Safeway or other stores, so the name got changed to the "Store-bought Eggs - chicken Club"
lau.gif
gig.gif

I have 21 eggs on day 13 from 30 eggs. They are black and blue ameracaunas. I also have on the way some white ameracaunas and a box of eggs from happy chick. I swapped her some of my handcrafted soap for eggs. I'm not sure exactley what we getting she said some araucauna, ameracuanas and some other things. They will go into my second incubator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom