Marek’s Disease is the Worst

babybop11

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
I took our girl to the vet and the diagnosis was Marek’s, they put her down. I guess all we can do is hope for the rest of the flock and keep an eye out for symptoms? Silly question- is it strictly an avian disease or are other pets at any risk?

Marek’s is basically only for chickens. Quails may get it. No other animals can get it. Yeah, it really sucks to watch them dying from Marek’s. Half of my original non-vaccinated chickens survived Marek’s. It's really depends on which strain of Marek’s you get. Good luck to your chickens.

Marek’s is basically only for chickens. Quails may get it. No other animals can get it. Yeah, it really sucks to watch them dying from Marek’s. Half of my original non-vaccinated chickens survived Marek’s. It's really depends on which strain of Marek’s you get. Good luck to your chickens.
My girl started stumbling Thursday night and made it to this morning with only some worse stumbling/leg collapse. I’ve seen most places that Marek’s usually progresses over 24-72 hours. None of the others are showing symptoms that I can tell. I’m taking this as a good sign?

My girl started stumbling Thursday night and made it to this morning with only some worse stumbling/leg collapse. I’ve seen most places that Marek’s usually progresses over 24-72 hours. None of the others are showing symptoms that I can tell. I’m taking this as a good sign?
How old is your chickens? It affects 2~5 month old the worst. Older chickens could develop symptoms too in a much less chance. My chickens survived from one week to 1.5 years after they showed nerve damage symptoms. The older chickens generally seem to survive longer than young pullets.

How old is your chickens? It affects 2~5 month old the worst. Older chickens could develop symptoms too in a much less chance. My chickens survived from one week to 1.5 years after they showed nerve damage symptoms. The older chickens generally seem to survive longer than young pullets.
The one that we just put down and the other “older” ones are all one year old. We also have some that are a mix of 1-2 months old, but they’re not all together yet.

Back
Top Bottom