Marek’s vaccine after introduction of new chicks?

Rosemarys Chickens

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2023
Hi everyone, I’m new here and am a new chicken owner! Anyways, I currently have 11 chickens that are 7 months old. I got them all at the same time from Tractor Supply and they are the first chickens I have owned. I recently put in an order for chicks from a hatchery that will be arriving some time in May and I paid to have them vaccinated for Mareks by the hatchery.
My question is should I vaccinate my current chickens for Marek’s in case these chicks would somehow spread it to them? I am not sure if there is a way for chicks to carry Marek’s if they are vaccinated and I can’t find a whole lot info on it.
I have also read that the hatchery Tractor Supply uses, Hoover Hatchery, does not typically vaccinate for Marek’s before sending the chicks out to Tractor Supply. So, I am just concerned that my chickens could catch it because they likely are not vaccinated. I’m really excited about expanding my flock but also want to keep my current chickens safe as possible, so I’m hoping someone can give me some advice and insight. Thank you everyone!!

I agree with Nuthatched.

My question is should I vaccinate my current chickens for Marek’s in case these chicks would somehow spread it to them?
With the biosecurity practiced by major hatcheries like Hoover, I consider chicks mailed by them to be as safe as you are going to get.

The vaccination does no good if the chickens are exposed to Marek's within the first two to three weeks after the vaccination is given. That is why Marek's is typically given only to chicks that have just hatched by incubator. If they are hatched by a broody hen they are exposed at hatch if it is in your flock. If your older ones have never been exposed to Marek's then they might get some protection from being vaccinated. They may never be exposed, especially if they haven't been exposed by now. That's part of the problem answering this question, there are a lot of "if's" involved.

The stars would have to line up perfectly for your older chickens to get any benefit from the Marek's vaccine. I consider that highly unlikely and would not spend the money.

I am not sure if there is a way for chicks to carry Marek’s if they are vaccinated and I can’t find a whole lot info on it.
Chickens can. The Marek's vaccine does not stop the chicken from getting Marek's. It stops the lesions that cause the harm from developing. Properly vaccinated chickens can catch Marek's and spread Marek's. They just will not have any symptoms themselves.

I have also read that the hatchery Tractor Supply uses, Hoover Hatchery, does not typically vaccinate for Marek’s before sending the chicks out to Tractor Supply.
Tractor Supply stores don't just use Hoover's. They typically have a choice between three hatcheries, Hoover's, Privett's, and I can't remember the third. Vaccinating the chicks costs money. They are not going to spend that money unless vaccination is requested and somebody pays for it, whether they ship to a feed store or to an individual like you. You may notice you are being charged for vaccination. Besides, some people don't want the chicks vaccinated even if it is free.

So, I am just concerned that my chickens could catch it because they likely are not vaccinated.
Vaccinated chickens can spread Marek's if they are exposed to the virus. They are not going to spread Marek's because of the vaccination, that form of the virus cannot be spread to chickens. To spread it they would have to be exposed somewhere else. Since the chicks are almost certain to arrive Marek's free that exposure would have to happen after you get them. In that case your others would probably be exposed to that same source.

Back
Top Bottom