Marek Risk

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
I am picking up 3 babies, the first of my flock, and they will not be vaccinated against Marek's (just fowl pox). I have called both local vets and supply stores, but haven't had any luck. Is it worth it to buy an entire vial of vaccine on line for 3 chicks? Such a waste...

Getting them from a fellow chicken friend who is hatching chicks this spring.

Last edited:
If it's your first flock and they are in a clean brooder with good biosecurity, you shouldn't be worried about Marek's. However, if your friend's flock has Marek and he didn't keep biosecurity for the brooder, you shouldn't get these chicks since they already has the virus. The vaccination only helps reduce the risk to getting sick, but it will not stop your chickens get the virus. Never brought in chickens from someone else's flock is the best way to protect your flock from Marek.

If it's your first flock and they are in a clean brooder with good biosecurity, you shouldn't be worried about Marek's. However, if your friend's flock has Marek and he didn't keep biosecurity for the brooder, you shouldn't get these chicks since they already has the virus. The vaccination only helps reduce the risk to getting sick, but it will not stop your chickens get the virus. Never brought in chickens from someone else's flock is the best way to protect your flock from Marek.
Healthy and happy flock, and she does practice biosecurity so fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom