Marek's and COVID: how vaccines can create more virulent strains

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
I became aware of this phenomenon when I considered whether to vaccinate chicks for Marek's, but I did not make the connection with COVID vaccines until I read this fascinating article. It is not making a case for or against COVID vaccination. Rather, it's an illuminating read for people interested in increasing their understanding of immunology, and -- because of the Marek's example -- particularly resonant for flock-keepers:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-vaccines-can-drive-pathogens-to-evolve-20180510/

Interesting! I had wondered myself, if we were getting "leaky" vaccines, i.e., did the covid vaccines allow the vaccinated person to transmit the disease, after reading a similar article about mareks. btw, I don't vaccinate for mareks, but I have a pretty small flock, which is closed due to some occasional sneezing.

Interesting! I had wondered myself, if we were getting "leaky" vaccines, i.e., did the covid vaccines allow the vaccinated person to transmit the disease, after reading a similar article about mareks. btw, I don't vaccinate for mareks, but I have a pretty small flock, which is closed due to some occasional sneezing.
Interesting link to read. Thanks'!
You're welcome!

I chose not to vaccinate mine after doing some research, as my older hens had not been vaccinated and I did not want to endanger them by introducing vaccinated chicks who might shed a virulent form of Marek's. It all worked out. Glad you enjoyed the article! Fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom