Mareks Chicken Sling!!! Pics Included!!

Kitty Cat

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Campos De La Gracia
So if you've been reading my thread on the Mareks Cure Trial you know that my roo has Mareks and is unable to stand. He has been doing this for days and is very uncomfortable. I have him in a wire dog crate so it has a hard bottom. I put hay in it but with all his thrashing around to get comfortable he has moved it to where he is only on the hard plastic bottom. He is also tearing up his leg trying to move around and get comfortable. So I had a brilliant idea. Why not make a sling? I've seen it done fro horses, so I was sure I could make something simple for a chicken. I grabbed some rags that my Dad had hanging around. Just large randomly cut squares of something like terry cloth. I put two large slits towards the end of it, so he doesn't poop inside the sling. The slits are for his legs to go through. Then I put his legs in and sort of wrapped it around him and tied it with a simple double knot. Same one as you tie your shoes with. Then I used another rag, slid it(going the same way as his feathers) under the knot on his back and then tied it to the top of the cage with another double knot. He is suspended slightly above the floor, and he is much more comfortable. The front of the sling is high enough up (right below the beak) so that it doesn't cut off circulation or airways, and allows him to rest his head on it. All in all for the 5 minutes it took me to make this, I think it came out well. I'm just sorry I didn't come up with it sooner so that he would have been more comfortable sooner.

This is the sling as a whole.
95883_001.jpg

Whole view of the front.
95883_002.jpg

The back.
95883_003.jpg

The leg slits. Um, his leg is wrapped b/c when he was thrashing around his spur and nails kept cutting his other leg so I wrapped it in a washcloth and vetwrap. If he doesn't thrash around anymore I will remove it. Looks like it's been there for days, but I just did it this morning.
95883_004.jpg

The top knot.
95883_005.jpg

Back knots.
95883_006.jpg

Head resting.
95883_007.jpg

We did something similar with our Mareks bird but she was only in it when we were around, lest she fall out or get hung up. Also, watch for where his legs go through it, there could be pressure points due to his weight and the small area putting pressure on the skin could cause other problems in the future.

Basically we used rolled up towels in a smaller box so she could be propped up.

I can't help but look at him and think that poor baby needs to be euthanized. I know you're trying to cure him but even if he gets better: He'll forever shed the virus and he could have relapses (our avian vet said that happens since it's a herpes virus that is never killed...only quieted).

I commend your effort. We didn't want to give up on our bird either, but it went to her respiratory system so we were left with no choice but to have the vet put her down.

Wishing you and your roo success.

Quote:
I made sure the holes were big enough and he doesn't move around too much so no hanging up is possible I don't think, but if I see any need for concern I will certainly do something else. I am doing research and all my birds have been exposed already, so oh well. I'm pretty sure our biddies we got from the feed store were vax, but they said they didn't know. He is showing signs of progress and another user on here said she did a necropsy and all signs of Mareks was gone, so I'm hoping there will be no relapses, however, if he does, I will simply treat him again and again and again. I love my roo and if I can cure then I'll do whatever necessary. Culling is a last resort for me at all times. I usually choose the natural path unless uncurable and no hope.
Lol, my poor baby looks better than he has in days actually. Sometimes I think he likes all the cuddling, attention, and special food he gets.

I have this sinking feeling that my flock has Mareks. How do I know for sure? I have one pullet that has stayed rather small and has scabby lesions under her wings. I have another that cannot walk, legs appear paralyzed. I have one pullet that is blind...but seems to have been blind since hatching. Is there any proof positive way to know whether they have Mareks? I am just sick considering the outcome.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with Marek's.
hugs.gif

I know you love him a lot and are trying all you can to get him through this but when you are looking into the pros and cons of treating versus culling that you consider his quality of life. I'm not judging you or being harsh, I just think with something like Marek's the kindest thing to do is the absolute hardest. My thoughts are with you and your roo and I think it's admirable that you are doing so much for him.

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

geat job. will he get over the disease?

There is no cure for Marek's.. it's like a cancer. It can go in remission but can reappear at any time.​

Back
Top Bottom