Marek's Disease or Something Else? Chick Walking Backwards

Wacky Workshop

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
Hello! I recently bought 20 Americaunas, and two appear to have some sort of disease. The first one has full paralysis in her legs, but she's still chipper and eats/drinks/poops normally.

The second one is the same, but instead of having fully paralysed legs, he... walks backwards??
Video:

Please help!

Hello! I recently bought 20 Americaunas, and two appear to have some sort of disease. The first one has full paralysis in her legs, but she's still chipper and eats/drinks/poops normally.

The second one is the same, but instead of having fully paralysed legs, he... walks backwards??
Video:

Please help!
Do you know how old they are, were they broody hatched? or what their feed routine was?

It takes at least 3 weeks before Marek's symptoms appear.. I'd treat for vitamin deficiency like wry neck.. Vitamin E and riboflavin.. may some Poultry Cell.. or if you have them on hand some human E and B complex.

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

Hope they recover quickly! :fl

Do you know how old they are, were they broody hatched? or what their feed routine was?

It takes at least 3 weeks before Marek's symptoms appear.. I'd treat for vitamin deficiency like wry neck.. Vitamin E and riboflavin.. may some Poultry Cell.. or if you have them on hand some human E and B complex.

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

Hope they recover quickly! :fl
I believe they are two weeks. The issue is that I have some month old americaunas and some two week old ones, and I'm not sure which they are.

I got them from either IFA or McMurray hatchery, so I'm not sure how they were incubated. I got two separate batches of americaunas, so I'm not sure which ones they are.

I've been treating them with some horse vitamins that have worked well for me in the past, as well as Nutri-Drench occassionally. I also give them egg yolk. Here's to hoping they recover well!

Back
Top Bottom