Mareks in my flock?

Quote: Yes, and he tested negative for mycoplasma, so that's something to be happy about.
big_smile.png

Yes, and he tested negative for mycoplasma, so that's something to be happy about. :D

Yes I saw that too. It made me also really happy lol.

:oops: I have read that wild ducks and geese (turkeys) are some of the main carriers but they will never exhibit illness

I did read turkeys ans chickens but can't find anything saying geese or ducks. I did find some info saying they don't get it so hoping thats accurate. Oh it also said wild birds can carry it also. Just waterfowl were excluded. Their is a virus they can get to similar but it can't be transferred to chickens or vice versa. Thats what ibread anyways..

I replied over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1159949/help-tylan-50/30#post_18347273 before I saw this thread...

Based on that necropsy report, I'd feel very confident you have Marek's in your flock. I'm sad to say that it's more common than people realize. For whatever reason, I see a lot of cases in CA.
I would strongly suspect Marek's over ALV (leukosis) because of the regions most targeted by tumors, as noted by your report. Especially the thymus and nerves. The thymus is often one of the first areas to grow tumors from Marek's (not always, but often).

Fortunately, from all that we understand, ducks and geese do not suffer from Marek's disease. I don't think that they are known to carry it, either-- though dander (dust, sometimes microscopic!) from a carrier chicken can get physically "stuck" to any bird or animal and be transported somewhere new. It's also known to travel on the wind, and some types of insects (especially those that like to explore chicken bedding then move on) can also transport it.

Last edited:
I replied over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1159949/help-tylan-50/30#post_18347273 before I saw this thread...

Based on that necropsy report, I'd feel very confident you have Marek's in your flock. I'm sad to say that it's more common than people realize. For whatever reason, I see a lot of cases in CA.
I would strongly suspect Marek's over ALV (leukosis) because of the regions most targeted by tumors, as noted by your report. Especially the thymus and nerves. The thymus is often one of the first areas to grow tumors from Marek's (not always, but often).

Fortunately, from all that we understand, ducks and geese do not suffer from Marek's disease. I don't think that they are known to carry it, either-- though dander (dust, sometimes microscopic!) from a carrier chicken can get physically "stuck" to any bird or animal and be transported somewhere new. It's also known to travel on the wind, and some types of insects (especially those that like to explore chicken bedding then move on) can also transport it.

Thanks so much. When I spoke to the pathologist she seemed very sure of mareks also. I think I was just pretty shocked. I figured it would come back something simple and of coarse mareks is not that.. I will be closing my flock and just keeping them for pets now but been working on a breeding program for the last year. Just finally got it set up and now this. I put so much time and money into it. Its hard to except it even though I know I have to. Thank you for taking the time to respond though. All this support really helps.
263a.png

I understand how you feel. I really wanted to breed rare heritage breeds and also put so much time, money and energy into it all and practiced super good bio-security, only to have Marek's come in either on the wind or a wild bird. I'm resigned to it probably being in my life forever. The measures (which might not even work) to try to remove it from my property are well beyond my means and ideals. It's very frustrating! But it's worth fighting if you love your birds. A small pet flock at home can withstand Marek's! Mine is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom