Mareks: Long-term prognosis

Then again, vaccinated hatchery chicks may not interfere with resistant offspring if they became exposed to Marek's, because they could still get , carry the virus, and spread it. The vaccine does not prevent vaccinated chicks from getting Marek's, just not dying from the nasty side effects.

I'm glad we're all talking this out, experience, knowledge attained, educated theories, and getting others involved. Yea!
I'm reading as fast as I can, 140 posts take awhile, Very good thread!

Scott

I'm new to this whole thing and tried to read the massive amount of posts in this thread but am still wondering if I can put a chicken back in the flock if it seems that she is surviving with Mareks. I'm not 100% sure this is what she has but one of her legs is paralyzed. She is doing well otherwise and I don't really have the space to keep her seperated forever. She won't be able to roost with one leg but could be back with her buddies if she is just going to be like this forever.

I'm new to this whole thing and tried to read the massive amount of posts in this thread but am still wondering if I can put a chicken back in the flock if it seems that she is surviving with Mareks. I'm not 100% sure this is what she has but one of her legs is paralyzed. She is doing well otherwise and I don't really have the space to keep her seperated forever. She won't be able to roost with one leg but could be back with her buddies if she is just going to be like this forever.

I had a little girl Queenie called so because I finally had to sequester her and in doing so I treated her like a queen. Anyway she exhibited issues with one leg and I let her stay in the yard a long while hopping around and making due just fine on that one leg Then one day I noticed the feathers protruding up on her back. When I examined her I noticed she had a huge growth on her back. Now Im not sure if that is what caused the leg issue or not but I just didnt feel it was good to have her in the yard with others. For one thing I was afraid she would be picked on by her flock mates. In the end I did return her to the coop but she died shortly after. She just seemed so much happier in her more normal environment.

It doesn't make much sense to put her back. If the paralysis is from Marek's, the chicken will die from wasting away-even while eating.

My BO roo died last year. There were no signs till one day one of his pupils was not perfectly round. The other roo got a grey eye and blindness in it.

I have had a White Rock hen and an Orpington pullet survive Marek's. They both are totally normal now. I have found that the birds that end up with leg paralysis do not survive. My white rock hen had a severe head tilt, I had to feed her for a few weeks, she survived on bread and Gatorade, and eventually she was able to eat and drink herself. The orpington pullet was rocking back on her hocks, I had to prop her up sternaly in a cage and I placed food and water in front of her, she always was able to eat and drink, I also gave her aspirin powder once daily and did some physical therapy, The White Rock hen has been symptom free for 2 years and lays normally.

I never thought I would see a chicken get Marek's symptoms and recover. Now I have 2 that did. Both were vaccinated at day one and quarantined for 6 weeks.

One got paralysis, I put her in a cage in the garage. Then I felt bad and she lived in my bedroom for 2 months, and got walking practice. It's been 6 months and in the flock.

The other one too. Was a few months older. She got sick and Lived in my bedroom until she was making a mess scratching. She still has an odd looking eye, but she survived it.

I've had Marek's survivors...

A cockerel in my room for 6 months! He had seizures, paralysis, and I had to hold him down to eat and drink... usually interrupted with a seizure, so everything would spill out of his mouth. Very heartbreaking.

Note the leg.

6 months later. Standing on his feet and crowing. (Sadly was killed by another roo on valentines day in 2011)

Back
Top Bottom