Mareks: Long-term prognosis

Im not sure Baby had Mareks but he was pretty sick and made a complete recovery with intensive vitamin B treatment. I saw improvement in him once I started the treatment, within a week. He was paralyzed for a month before I learned of vitamin b as a treatment.
Before treatment:

Baby after full recovery:

Id try vitamin b with any chicken showing any sort of signs of paralysis or nerve issue. I dont think a great majority of flocks get enough from their main diet.

My affected birds should not have a vitamin D defeciency since most are free range. Nonetheless I am popping them with a vitamin rich diet in case you are correct..

Mine free range too and I would have never suspected vit b as a deficiency in any of them. I have heard some animals as humans have a harder time absorbing the b. Doesnt the b make the yolks of eggs rich in yellow color? I have some egg layers producing very yellow egg yolks while others, not so yellow. They all have access to the same foods and veggie offerings of the yard. Is it possible the ones with less color and the babies who develop nerve issues are the ones who dont absorb the vit b as well from their foods? Just a though and Im just sharing my experience with paralysis and vit b. Note, vit b has not drastically improved all of my ailing birds, just this one in the pictures. I had others who didnt respond to the treatment. Id try it rather than not if it was me.

Here's the things I found so far that can cause paralysis/inability to walk:

Marek's
Botulism
Poisoning from any fungus or mold
Vitamin deficiency (B's usually caused by medicated feed)
weakness due to illness

Most times the chicken looks sick. Except in Marek's, they still act pretty normal/happy.
Did I miss any?

and injury,
mechanical damage in juveniles
blow to head

Last edited:
Here's the things I found so far that can cause paralysis/inability to walk:

Marek's
Botulism
Poisoning from any fungus or mold
Vitamin deficiency (B's usually caused by medicated feed)
weakness due to illness

Most times the chicken looks sick. Except in Marek's, they still act pretty normal/happy.
Did I miss any?

Mechanical damage sometimes occurs in juveniles that appears related to nerves. I have only seen in production birds, never games, so may be tied to more rapid growth and resulting increased vulnerability to physical blows.

Bird in image has damage to head / neck which did go away after a couple days.

Does anyone know if they will recover from food poisoning? I have a little fella I suspect ate some moldy honeydew melon. He can move his legs but is unable to stand. He just seems very weak. If recovery is possible, does anyone know what the expected time frame is for it? He has been sick for two weeks as of today.

Does anyone know if they will recover from food poisoning? I have a little fella I suspect ate some moldy honeydew melon. He can move his legs but is unable to stand. He just seems very weak. If recovery is possible, does anyone know what the expected time frame is for it? He has been sick for two weeks as of today.

Best to post in thread entitled such. I do not have experience with moldy feed being fed to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom