Mareks? Mites? Help Please!

MedusaSnake

Chirping
Feb 2, 2022
hello this is a follow up to my thread about my chicken not eating. She is an old girl, around 7 or 8 so at first I thought it was just old age, but when took a good look at her today, she was covered in mites. I’m going to try and order some permethrin, but she is also showing signs of I believe Mareks?

She isn’t moving much and when she is she is wobbly. She is not standing up straight at all either. Do you think this may be a cause of the mites or maybe something else? It’s like her legs don’t function at all anymore. Could it be Mareks? She was eating but now she isn’t eating at all, I’m going to offer her eggs tomorrow, but what else should I do for her?

Any advice is appreciated
The photo is of her in the morning, it is now night.

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpeg
    IMG_3719.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 98
If it was Marek's she would probably be practically paralyzed and if she had been sick for a few days it most likely isn't Marek's - she probably would have been dead by now. I am thinking a mix of old age and the mites are not making making her feel really well.
How does her crop feel?? Swishy almost softer than a water balloon or firm like it should be?? Is her crop empty ever night?? Is she eating and drinking anything at all??

I don’t know if she ate today since I was away from home half the day but she did eat some veggies yesterday. I felt her crop today and didn’t feel anything

I was afraid it might be Mareks since her wings as seen as droopy in the 1st picture, and when waking she barely makes 2 steps before sitting down and refusing to move

I saw that she had some mites and I sprayed her in the morning but I’m not sure if the mites are causing her symptoms.

She is an old girl, around 7 or 8, and I’m wondering if these are signs due to age or something else is going on. I noticed that the last 2 days hse struggled to get up the coop for the night.

Other signs of include more watery yellow poop, puffed up feathers, droopy wings, and increased sleepiness.

I found the girl today covered in mites :(, I’ll go get the permethrin ready but do you think this may be causing her symptoms?

Do you think this may be a cause of the mites or maybe something else?
In your other thread, I'm posting some of your comments.

You found her covered in mites yesterday. Can you go to TSC or similar Farm Store and buy some Permethrin Poultry Dust AND Permethrin Concentrate or Spray?

Dust her very well with the dust, put the dust in a sock, then use it like a powder puff to dust her, work the dust through the feathers all the way down to the skin. Make sure to get around the vent, under her body, under the wings, under her chin/neck, around the face and head too. Repeat dusting in 5 day intervals.

Clean out your coop, including the nesting boxes. Mix the Permethrin concentrate (or you can buy premixed spray if you wish), according to the label.
Spray every nook and cranny of the coop/housing including roosting bars and nesting boxes. Repeat spraying/treating the coop in 5 days intervals.

Check all your other birds, if one has mites, likely the other do too. This Gal is older so she may be showing more signs of stress than younger hens.

A heavy mite infestation can cause decline and possible death in a hen. It's important to get her treated.

Do, see that she's eating well and drinking.
Check her crop first thing in the morning, see that it's emptying, if it's not, then address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If you have poultry vitamins, give her those daily for a few days. If you don't, then give her a bit of egg or cooked beef liver daily.

Does she lay eggs at all?

To answer egg concerns, she has not laid an egg in months. Her last was probably in spring, it’s now almost winter here.

Clean out your coop, including the nesting boxes. Mix the Permethrin concentrate (or you can buy premixed spray if you wish), according to the label.
Spray every nook and cranny of the coop/housing including roosting bars and nesting boxes. Repeat spraying/treating the coop in 5 days intervals.
Can the spray also be used directly on the bird or just the coop? I’m planning to order it soon

Back
Top Bottom