Mareks or?

We had it removed when i took the picture but we used one of those cheap plastic square baskets like you find at the dollar store and cut the front off with a food and water container that we screwed into the front. Then we cut a piece of rubber hose to fit it across the front of the basket so he wouldnt get hurt on the sharp edge. He seems to be quite spritely today and is actually standing on the perch to lift himself up but he is now refusing to drink the vitamin water.

Well sandra is out of his sling and shuffling around the garage. Hes been standing on his own, not for long bc the right leg still seems weak but at least hes trying. He still doesnt want to drink the vitamin water so weve been mixing it with his food. Weve found out that he likes engelbert humperdinck a man without love lol maybe he relates? Weve thought about renaming him engelbird humperbeak :lol: . Were also thinking he might just become a house bird bc boy is he spoiled now! Anyone else going through a similar situation dont give up. Patience patience patience.

Last edited:
I would suggest you keep tabs on his weight, whether he is a meat bird or not, extra weight is very hard on his legs and organs. He does look heavy!! Also anyway he can get some kind of exercise would be of benefit to him. I hope he will do well.

As someone with Marek's in their flock I have cared for quite a few. Some make it, some don't. Some go from being totally fine, to unable to walk in a day and floundering around on their side. Then a few days/week later they are fine again. Others take months of TLC to make a limited recovery. The things that have had a big impact on mine have been sunshine, grass and the company of other chickens, plus the stimulus to forage. On warm sunny days I put mine out on the grass in a 4ft cage and scatter scratch in and around the cage, so that the other chickens forage around the disabled one. The illusion of competing for food encourages them to move around and that helps them work through the paralysis. You can also achieve this by encouraging them to walk towards you for their food. Start with just short distances a couple of times a day. They will flounder about and look awkward, but it is all part of the process. Slings are good for keeping them upright which helps digestion as well as preventing them soiling themselves but as drumstick diva suggests exercise therapy is also important.

As regards suddenly not wanting to drink the water with the vitamins in it, that would make me think there is something amiss. Perhaps the dose is too strong. It's important that birds get good nutrition, but don't push the supplements to the extent that they get sick of it and start refusing to eat or drink as that defeats the object. I went through this when trying to treat them with turmeric and black pepper. I started getting stressed about getting it into them when they got sick of it after the first week. I realised that keeping them happy and stress free and eating enthusiastically was more important and beneficial than the turmeric, so don't get too hung up on the vitamin supplements. Have a break and then come back to them.

Good luck with him and I hope he continues to make progress.

Regards

Barbara

When we started putting it in his food he had no problem with it, he just doesnt seem to like it in his water. We have taken him outside with the girls and they were pecking at him and he couldnt get away so we may have to try making him a run like you use.

Great news, sandra is standing and walking on his own. We put him back out with the girls last night and hes already established himself as cock of the walk if youll pardon my pun. Hes full on crowing now too, we were just out with them when it was starting to get dark and he was calling his ladies in for the night. So once again anyone else going through similar problems have patience and give them some tlc. Sandra was hurt on 2-24 and hes just now back to himself.

I'm glad he's better. At least he has good taste in music. He's a real ladies man.
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom