Mareks? Or...?

Flozza

Hatching
Mar 4, 2023
I have just had my 3rd chicken go in one month. She was a 4y/o isa brown, in previous good weight and health, though with a palpable mass in her abdomen since a year.
She presented with worsening neurological symptoms - day one she seemed to walk a little stiffly, and her vision seemed impaired. She was eating and seeing enough to eat, but was missing the mark 90% of the time. Day two her vision seemed gone entirely and she wasn't keen to attempt walking or eat. She could walk assisted if pushed. Her pupils were still responsive to light, and though she was quieter than usual, she was still alert and affectionate to me. Day three saw no improvement and a complete inability to walk, even assisted. She could still stand and balance perfectly fine, but all motor skills were gone. I decided to have her euthanised that evening.

I'm yet to open her up for necropsy but I plan to do so today. Is there anything I can look out for or take samples of? I also work at a vet clinic and have free access to diagnostic tools such as microscopes. I'm researching as much as I can on mareks and other viral diseases, but it's a mass of information so I'd love to hear some other thoughts!

The previous two sister chickens (summarised but let me know if more details/pictures are wanted!):
1. Died of (speculated) mass seizures/heart failure/probably lots of things. After her first seizure her heart was audibly starting to fail and she experienced death rails. Upon necropsy she had lesions over nearly all her organs (especially liver and feather follicles). Regrettably I did not think to take samples or observe her nerves.
2. Died suddenly of (speculated) sepsis secondary to liver disease/failure (possibly a respiratory infection/disease as well). Upon necropsy her liver was black and decaying and every body cavity filled with a mucous substance. She had one mass connected to a membrane. I took some samples - her lungs were flooded with bacteria, and the mass was a tumour we couldn't identify.

X3 on having an official state lab necropsy done, especially since you have lost 3 chickens this past month. (If they have all been 4-year-old ISA Browns, causes of deaths May be natural causes due to various metastasized reproductive cancers and not infectious cancers, but 3 deaths in one month is suspicious.) Even though you work at a vet clinic and so have knowledge and diagnostic tools available, a veterinary pathologist is your best bet to know exactly all that was going on with your latest deceased hen. State lab necropsies in most states are very affordable, and the peace of mind in knowing the exact cause(s) of death, especially with 3 recent deaths in a flock, is imo priceless.

Unfortunately I have no (easy) access to professional necropsy at this moment. I live in rural Australia and we are currently cut off due to flooding.
I'm sure it could be done, and I have looked into it, but in this moment in time it's out of the picture.

Is anyone able to advise the method for exposing the sciatic nerve? (image from google)
1677985191223.jpg

Back
Top Bottom