Marek's Vaccination

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
If I am going to have a smalll flock of only a couple of birds, should I get the vaccination done?

Is there any real reason not to get the vaccination?

Would it take away from the all-natural aspects?

i was wondering what happens if when you inject the vaccine some goes into the muscle instead of directly under the skin? ive seen alot of post about putting it under the skin so i was wondering if anything bad happens because chickens can be kind of squirmy and a slip of the hand might cause some to go in a little bit to far

I think you're borrowing trouble from tomorrow. The vaccination is not difficult. First prepare everything you need within hand's reach and practice with your loaded siring delivering 1 dose into the sink to know how hard the plunger of your siring moves. Take your time and have an assistant hold the chick. That leaves you 2 hands free to wipe the alcohol soaked cotton ball on the back of the neck which flattens to almost invisible the fluff, then pull up a small pinch of skin with your off hand and slip the small needle into there. Gently press the plunger to deliver the correct amount of vaccine and you are done!
It's really no trouble at all and the peace of mind that you have protected your chicks
yippiechickie.gif
well, to quote a famous saying, is "priceless".

PLEASE VACCINATE!!! I had chickens growing up for 10 years (in Michigan and Colorado) and never had an issue, so I didn't worry about vaccinating when I got back into chickens this year. Sadly, I have seen many of my chickens die of Marek's (and Newcastle). Marek's is a terrible disease, there is no reason not to vaccinate. The vaccine is pretty effective and only needs to be given ONCE in a lifetime (unlike Newcastle that needs to be given every few months). I won't let another chick hatch without vaccinating; otherwise you just watch them die or cull them since there is no cure.

I honestly don't think any of ours were vaxed, we bought two month old pullets and a handful of chicks last year. After combining the two (once the chicks were big enough), the chicks died one a week, save one chick and the two pullets, then the pullet started going paralyzed, and then the last chick. We have one pullet left at the end of last summer. So you could always not vax your first flock, see what happens. Since we are pretty sure it was marek's after the pullet's symptoms, we are vaxing this year (and I am anti vax in every other instance) If you choose not to just be prepared you may lose the flock, but just cause you don't doesn't mean you will. I totally understand where you are coming from, you want "natural" chicken/eggs, no hormones, antibiotics, medications etc, so give it a try and if they all die, you know for next time.

I had mine vaccinated for both Mareks and the coccidiosis and here is what Murray McMurray has to say about it.....

Marek's is a widespread disease affecting domestic chickens in all sections of the world. It is characterized by lesions affecting the nervous system, organs, and other tissues. Young chickens under 16 weeks of age are most susceptible. There is no treatment for Marek's once the birds are infected. Chicks must be vaccinatead as close to the time of hatch as possible for the vaccine to be effective. We vaccinate all of our own breeding stock and strongly feel that you should do the same. Vaccinating your birds for Marek's is another appropriate step in strong poultry management. Don't take any chances. Let us vaccinate your chicks prior to shipment of your order. Don't forget to choose vaccination as you go through the check out process.

What is Coccidiosis and how do I control the disease?
Keeping small poultry flocks healthy and productive requires skilled husbandry practices. We are now offering a coccidiosis vaccine to help you manage your flock. Coccidia are common protozoan parasites. They are present in almost all chicken yards and can lay dormant for years until chickens are introduced. Heavy infections of coccidia cause serious disease and may kill many chickens. Chickens of all ages can come down with coccidiosis, but 4- to 16-week-old chickens are most commonly affected. Wet litter, poor nutrition and concurrent diseases are the most common triggers of coccidiosis. We do vaccinations here at the hatchery, because it is best to vaccinate chicks at 1-3 days of age. A successful vaccination will provide long-lasting immunity.
PLEASE READ: To reduce the threat of coccidiosis you should either: 1) Have us vaccinate your birds and not use medicated feed. OR 2) Use a medicated feed containing a coccidiostat. ORGANIC GROWERS: Vaccinations are in compliance with the NOP/USDA organic standards. You should verify with your certifying agency before having us vaccinate your chicks.

I guess it is a personal preference but from what I have read there is no reason not to an then you don't have to feed the chickens medicated feed which I do not.

Good luck with your decision!

AmyT

The hatchery that I am getting them from offers the vaccination. It is only $.25 per chick and for the couple that I am getting that won't be an issue at all.

Does anyone know of any reason why I should not get the vaccination?

NO reason not to get it! GET IT! Mareks can be brought in easily by wild birds that fly over your run or your yard...it's very easy for them to get, and I've seen them die of it; trust me, it's NOT worth not doing.

Back
Top Bottom