Marek's Vaccine Question

BrickCoop15

Songster
10 Years
Jun 13, 2013
I ordered chicks and had them vaccinated for Mareks. How long do you need to keep them isolated from the rest of your flock? I have read anywhere from 4 to 7 days to 6 weeks for the vaccine to work. How long do most people wait?

Thanks for replying! Based on what I have read, it takes time for the chicks to develop antibodies after receiving the vaccine. During that time you have to be extremely careful that chicks are not exposed to other chickens or sources the virus may be on. I am currently changing clothes and washing hands while tending to the chicks and my established flock. I was just wondering how long I really have to do this.

Thanks for replying! Based on what I have read, it takes time for the chicks to develop antibodies after receiving the vaccine. During that time you have to be extremely careful that chicks are not exposed to other chickens or sources the virus may be on. I am currently changing clothes and washing hands while tending to the chicks and my established flock. I was just wondering how long I really have to do this.

I'm in the same boat. Did you find out how long you had to quarantine your chicks and how did the integration go, assuming you've put them all together now. Thanks!

I read 7 days. I never knew it before and had just put my chicks together in a brooder room with other chicks and chickens.
From now on I'm isolating my newly vaccinated chicks for at least 7 days. I feel like that could be a huge reason people tout failure rates.

I'm in the same boat. Did you find out how long you had to quarantine your chicks and how did the integration go, assuming you've put them all together now. Thanks!

I am sorry I didn't reply sooner. For some reason I didn't see your question. I never did find a definite answer. To be safe, I kept mine away from the rest of my chickens for 5 weeks. I have not mixed them in with the rest of my flock yet, but they are currently living in a run right next to my established flock.

It would be nice if hatcheries included some type of care instructions for Mareks vaccinated chicks.

I read 7 days. I never knew it before and had just put my chicks together in a brooder room with other chicks and chickens.
From now on I'm isolating my newly vaccinated chicks for at least 7 days. I feel like that could be a huge reason people tout failure rates.

Thanks for your response! We've kept ours apart for 8 weeks now. I'm hoping that the longer we go before introducing the chicks and hens, their chances of dying from Mareks will be lower.

I am sorry I didn't reply sooner. For some reason I didn't see your question. I never did find a definite answer. To be safe, I kept mine away from the rest of my chickens for 5 weeks. I have not mixed them in with the rest of my flock yet, but they are currently living in a run right next to my established flock.

It would be nice if hatcheries included some type of care instructions for Mareks vaccinated chicks.

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I really appreciate it. So yours are right next to each other, but haven't been mixed in yet? Mine are now 8 weeks old and haven't seen the older hens. I've been careful about wearing different shoes in each coop area and washing my hands thoroughly between coop visits. Honestly, Mareks is so contagious that this might be overkill since the chickens are 100 yards down the hill from the chicks and I'm sure their dander is flying around.

I LOVE your idea about getting directions from hatcheries on how to care for Mareks vaccinated chicks. The advice here on BYC is excellent and appreciated, but there's also so much conflicting information elsewhere on the Internet. Please keep me updated on your chicks and introduction to your established flock! I'd love to hear how integration goes and if the vaccine works. I'll let you know how things go here when we introduce the new chicks.

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I really appreciate it. So yours are right next to each other, but haven't been mixed in yet? Mine are now 8 weeks old and haven't seen the older hens. I've been careful about wearing different shoes in each coop area and washing my hands thoroughly between coop visits. Honestly, Mareks is so contagious that this might be overkill since the chickens are 100 yards down the hill from the chicks and I'm sure their dander is flying around.

I LOVE your idea about getting directions from hatcheries on how to care for Mareks vaccinated chicks. The advice here on BYC is excellent and appreciated, but there's also so much conflicting information elsewhere on the Internet. Please keep me updated on your chicks and introduction to your established flock! I'd love to hear how integration goes and if the vaccine works. I'll let you know how things go here when we introduce the new chicks.
Yes, mine are living side by side. They can see each other, but are separated by a wire wall. They have been living like this for the last 6 weeks. I will mix them all together once the chicks are closer to the size of the adults. They will be 11 weeks old this week so it is getting close.

Check out Chickens for Backyards Facebook page. They posted an article about the Mareks vaccine on June 26.

Back
Top Bottom