Mareks

Plenty of us have Marek's in the flock, it isn't the end of the world. There maybe the occasional loss of a bird but many if not most birds live normal lives without any sign of illness.

I have it in the flock, all of my current birds are perfectly healthy and 2 broodys even raised 6 very healthy chicks this summer.

Marek's is a herpes virus and in most birds it stays dormant, just like cold sores and genital herpes in humans (many people have those viruses but most NEVER have an outbreak and never know they are infected).

Last edited:
Plenty of us have Marek's in the flock, it isn't the end of the world. There maybe the occasional loss of a bird but many if not most birds live normal lives without any sign of illness.

I have it in the flock, all of my current birds are perfectly healthy and 2 broodys even raised 6 very healthy chicks this summer.

Marek's is a herpes virus and in most birds it stays dormant, just like cold stores and genital herpes in humans (many people have those viruses but most NEVER have an outbreak and never know they are infected).
But you shouldn't sell any birds that are in your flock. You have to keep a closed flock. All my birds are NPIP

They are still eating and drinking . Just having hard time walking . I separated them from the rest . I bought all of mined rom cackle and purely poultry and had them vaccinated . I really surprised that they have it . If that is what they have . Will the three get worse or stay the same . I don't sell any ever. Just have them for eggs and entertainment

They are still eating and drinking . Just having hard time walking . I separated them from the rest . I bought all of mined rom cackle and purely poultry and had them vaccinated . I really surprised that they have it . If that is what they have . Will the three get worse or stay the same . I don't sell any ever. Just have them for eggs and entertainment

Can you describe the symptoms that you are seeing? Many things can look like Mareks, including vitamin deficiency, dehydration, mold in the feed, lead shor or lead paint poisoning, chemical poisoning, botulism, and other viruses. Did you raise your vaccinated chicks outside, or did you havbe them in the house for the first couple of weeks after getting them? I would try poultry vitamins with minerals for a few weeks, check the feed for any off odor or color, and look around for any dead animals, maggots, or rotting vegetation.

A 3 month old Orpington is walking on its hock on the right leg . A 3 monty old game hen rooster is walking on both his hocks and has hard time balancing and if he falls down has a hard time getting his legs back under him . A year old Plymouth Rock is having a hard time walking and balance . They all still have an appetite . I kept them all in the house first couple weeks until they were feathered a little bit and past the pasty butt stages. I have quite a few others that were in the same order as all of these but only three so far . I don't have any rotten meat or anything around or maggots . I keep everything pretty clean . They are free range all day and I lick them up at night. What kind of vitamins would you suggest I bought some rooster booster today at tsc

They are all alert just balance and motor function . The orp is only one leg . The game hen is the worst

But you shouldn't sell any birds that are in your flock. You have to keep a closed flock. All my birds are NPIP

Most flocks around here have it and being NPIP certified doesn't matter. The NPIP tests don't screen for Mareks, in fact I believe I first got it from an NPIP breeder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom