Mareks?

Mama Farley

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
We’ve had chickens for almost 2 years. 8 days ago, noticed a Barred Rock limping. Brought her to the house and put her in a cage. Next day, leg wouldn’t work. Then both legs and wings. She is still eating and drinking. She has definitely lost weight. I tried vitamin B supplement but she only regained a little movement in one leg. What do I do? Do I keep feeding and watering her in the cage? Give more supplement? Ask a vet? We haven’t had any other cases.

Sorry about your chicken. Could she have gotten into something poisonous or eaten any dead animal remains that might have been buried earlier? Botulism comes to mind, but Mareks disease, or eating moldy feed, automotive spill, or lead shot or paint chips might also be possible. Is she still interested in eating or drinking?

Have a necropsy done by a state veterinary lab done if she doesn’t make it. You need to know for sure because Mareks means closing your flock. It happened to me last December after having chickens for 7 years.

Have a necropsy done by a state veterinary lab done if she doesn’t make it. You need to know for sure because Mareks means closing your flock. It happened to me last December after having chickens for 7 years.
Ugh. Our vet will do a necropsy for free.

Local vets usually are not capable of doing tests for Mareks, or some of the other tests. They can do a necropsy to look for something obvious. The state poultry vet pathologist is your best bet, and they do histology and testing for a number of diseases. If your local vet could draw blood, Vetdna will do a PCR test for Mareks for $20 when you mail them blood serum. Call them first to get details here:
http://www.vetdna.com/about-usWhat state are you in? Each state charges a different amount for a necropsy. California does a complete necropsy and Mareks test for $35.

Local vets usually are not capable of doing tests for Mareks, or some of the other tests. They can do a necropsy to look for something obvious. The state poultry vet pathologist is your best bet, and they do histology and testing for a number of diseases. If your local vet could draw blood, Vetdna will do a PCR test for Mareks for $20 when you mail them blood serum. Call them first to get details here:
http://www.vetdna.com/about-usWhat state are you in? Each state charges a different amount for a necropsy. California does a complete necropsy and Mareks test for $35.
Texas

Hen is still alive, eating and drinking. I called the vet yesterday and they said it’s a virus. She can move her legs now and her left wing. We will see what happens next.

Back
Top Bottom