Market poultry shows

Ezekiella

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2016
I went to a market poultry show a few weeks ago and I was appalled by what I saw. The chickens there were so fat they they couldn't even walk. These weren't even hens and they were already the size of turkeys, most of the birds had already exceeded 2 pounds in the first week of life. By eight weeks they were 2 times larger than an adult chicken. If you are going to go to a poultry show I strongly recommend that you avoid the market poultry shows. Go to the national shows. The real shows.

Market shows are to exhibit meat birds, which are generally ready for slaughter at around six weeks. When people that are not expecting the size and growth rate of meat birds, it can definitely be shocking! It is quite normal though.

But I just don't see the reason to make them so fat. Some of them get thrown away because of their obesity. I think it is highly unfair to put any animal through such torture just to throw it away. :mad:

They don't get thrown away, they get slaughtered and processed for food. This is one major reason why I personally believe keeping an animal bred for meat alive past optimal slaughtering time is inhumane.

So the rumors that I heard about some birds getting so big they throw them away isn't true?:confused:

So the rumors that I heard about some birds getting so big they throw them away isn't true?
hu.gif
why would you throw away a meat bird for getting too big?

does that sound right?

oh and let me add, welcome to BYC.

tell us about your flock?

tell us about your coop and your set up.....raising for eggs? breeding for SOP.......dont' be shy, great group of folks here, with lots of stuff in their noggins.....

I started 2 years ago. It was kind of hard experiencing death at first. But now we are the proud owners of 5 adult hens. They lay eggs non stop. And now we don't have to buy eggs.

So the rumors that I heard about some birds getting so big they throw them away isn't true?:confused:

If it is a meat bird, they are generally slaughtered when they are old enough or big enough, but no part of the bird goes to waste. Sick birds or birds that die before slaughter may go to rendering after they are euthanized or culled (if they were alive prior).

Birds that are bred to meet a standard (the fancier show birds) might be culled if they grow larger than the standard specifies. Some breeders kill these birds with undesirable traits and others may rehome them.

The world definitely needs more poultry vets!

Back
Top Bottom