Mars Bar Olive Eggers

Backyard Divas

Songster
Oct 26, 2022
I did this cross because I had wanted a BCM hen, but made some olive lemonade before the BCM cockerel (straight run didn't result in a female) went to a new home. I set the next 7 eggs my pullet CCL laid and this olive egger, who was the one I kept out of the 3 fertile eggs, has finally come into laying! I'm so pleased with how her eggs are turning out! I hope she is as good of a layer as her mom, and lays a bit bigger egg like her BCM heritage. She is off to a great start with 3 eggs this week and all almost as big as her year old mom's. She lost some tail feathers as the flock jockeyed for the pecking order, but that seems to have been worked out so hopefully she'll be fine.

IMG_20230304_173948531~2.jpg
IMG_20230301_160658882.jpg

Mom is behind her, she is a CCL but had a late 1st molt coincide with a huge temperature drop and I think the stress gave her emerging feathers the white.
IMG_20230304_172159339~2.jpg

Mom's egg is the light/minty olive to the left of the 2nd (top right) and 3rd (bottom right) eggs from my olive egger Livvy. The third egg is finally showing that BCM dark/shiny bloom.
IMG_20230304_164838336.jpg

Share your OEs if ya got em! I'd love to see them and their eggs!

Original chick thread here:. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/future-hens-or-roos-fbcm-x-ccl.1553319/

Last edited:
Just a thought, but I look at those olive eggs and I have to think eggs like that, especially the speckled one, would be an advantage over lighter colors in a wild nest environment. Does anyone know what color eggs her ancestors the wild jungle fowl laid? White? Brown?

I did this cross because I had wanted a BCM hen, but made some olive lemonade before the BCM cockerel (straight run didn't result in a female) went to a new home. I set the next 7 eggs my pullet CCL laid and this olive egger, who was the one I kept out of the 3 fertile eggs, has finally come into laying! I'm so pleased with how her eggs are turning out! I hope she is as good of a layer as her mom, and lays a bit bigger egg like her BCM heritage. She is off to a great start with 3 eggs this week and all almost as big as her year old mom's. She lost some tail feathers as the flock jockeyed for the pecking order, but that seems to have been worked out so hopefully she'll be fine.

View attachment 3422006View attachment 3422008
Mom is behind her, she is a CCL but had a late 1st molt coincide with a huge temperature drop and I think the stress gave her emerging feathers the white.
View attachment 3422015
Mom's egg is the light/minty olive to the left of the 2nd (top right) and 3rd (bottom right) eggs from my olive egger Livvy. The third egg is finally showing that BCM dark/shiny bloom.
View attachment 3422018

Share your OEs if ya got em! I'd love to see them and their eggs!

Original chick thread here:. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/future-hens-or-roos-fbcm-x-ccl.1553319/
What a beautiful girl, and those eggs are gorgeous! I love the green eggs, all the variations . Congratulations 🎉

Back
Top Bottom