Votes: 311 51.6%
  • crumbles

Votes: 213 35.3%
  • mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
Mash is 6 dollars cheaper than the pellets at my feed store. So, I feed mash mainly in the spring and summer when egg production is highest and they free range the most. Then as I hatch out babies I switch to nonmedicated chick crumbles then to flock raiser crumbles. The flock raiser is a little higher protein and i pretend it helps as the fall molt is in to full swimg. As winter comes,and the naughty birds hang out in their coop more, I switch to pellets. they eat more food as free ranging is less productive. Mainly i switch because all hatch outs are now of laying age and safe to feed laying pellets then, very little waste. I have oyster shell available through all of this.

I have about 1/5 of my flock of 60 that are bantums and they never complain and always are well fed. I always have a bag of scratch on hand for a scoop full of treat to throw in the pen during an occasional early round up. They love it and they all seem to thrive. It initially was less of intent to mix it up and more intent to be sure they could all eat the same food, I had ducks and guineas for a while and that complicated matters. Free ranging was hardest on the ducks and guineas, so for now we are all chickens here!

How true mostly! When I look at the ground of whats been discarded most, its the crumbles, pellets and some cracked corn. They are pretty much like a pet dog waiting for table scraps before they eat from their dog dish!

Pellets as soon as I can switch. I start with mash/chick starter and switch to crumble as soon as they will eat it, then pellets. I find pellets + less waste.
thumbsup.gif

I have scrolled through most of your answers and realize I am in the minority. My four hens (approximately 30 weeks old) only get mash (organic layer). This is because this is the only way I can buy "organic" layer feed. If anyone knows of a source that sells it in crumbles, please let me know. I found one place on the West Coast that sells organic crumbles but they do not ship east of the Mississippi, we live in Savannah, GA. I have been told that the heating process to extrude the crumbles or pellets ends up negating the benefit of organic so it is best left as mash. So that is what they get and truth be told, do not love it. I never thought about mixing it with the oatmeal and wheat germ I "serve" them on cold mornings, so thank you to whomever posted the idea. I keep looking at them trying to decide if they are skinny or just fine. My husband just shakes his head and walks away. Anyone know how to tell if your hens are malnourished? I am getting 3 to 4 eggs every day and I am telling myself as long as they are laying they must be getting enough. You can tell I am new to this.

I mix pellets, crumbles and just a touch of cracked corn this time of year. Feeding a couple of bantams, including a pullet and two roosters with my hens. This seems to please everyone. Some gets pushed out but eventually gets cleaned up as snack!

I started out feeding pellets and my chickens weren't eating it. I now feed crumbles and I have to buy feed more often!! They free range and do pretty good. I have added water to pellets and they ate that real good. I have a pan under the feed container and it catches most of what they scoop out. I think now that winter is coming on that I will try feeding them some fermented food. Also I am going to quit putting out so much more than they will eat in the mornings. We have a lot of healthy wild birds that come into the pen to eat. Our cat can only take care of a few!!
On the Apple Cider Vinegar, some is made from apple juice and some is made from grain. Does it make any difference which kind to use in the fermentation?

Back
Top Bottom