Votes: 311 51.6%
  • crumbles

Votes: 213 35.3%
  • mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
I use crumbles and when the bowl gets down to the dusty powder in the bottom I add a little water and make a moist mush for them. I feed them in a large 2" lipped plant water catcher and so they dont waste any.

At first I fed crumbles but my girlies didn't like them so I changed to pellets and they eat them. I also ordered organic layer feed which looks like grains and they love it. I mix the two together and that seems to be a hit.

I use scratch, and other grains mixed with crumble to make the FF for most of the flock (chickens and ducks). The quail get high protein crumble and some scratch mixed for their own FF, which is what the chicks get. They all get some mealworms mixed in about twice a week, with the occasional treat of live wax or mealworms. When it's warm weather they get FF in the evening only and free range the rest of the day, right now they get FF morning and evening with dry mix free choice for in between.

Mash, i don't even want to get started on, crumbles, A MESS, (and wasteful), so i prefer pellets.
big_smile.png

We got our first ever chickens in May. After reading hundreds of feed related posts I combined methods and made up my own plan. I am able to use mash with little waste. We found organic mash for not too much more money than regular feed. Every morning and evening for our 8 pullets I sift the powder off the grain chunks and ferment the grains. I drain off the liquid from the fermented grains then mix the powder back into the grains right before feeding them and they love it. The end result is a moist, crumbly, easy-to-eat feed. They do scratch it out some but I just need to get a different feeder to take care of that! It isn't too much work because there are only 8 chickens. If I had 50 of them I'd have to come up with something different!!
smile.png

mejsmom1

Back
Top Bottom