Votes: 311 51.6%
  • crumbles

Votes: 213 35.3%
  • mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
My chicken don't like pallets unless I starve them first. So I switched them to organic feed which I don't think is crumbles but just a bunch of grains mixed together. My problem is that they leave the small particles/powdery stuff behind so I am worried about them not getting a balanced diet.

You can add water and turn it into mush, then there's no more powder :) You can also go as far as fermenting the feed, does the same thing but also adds good bacteria. I used to feed the left over crumble powder with plain yogurt and give that to them in the mornings for the probiotics but now I just ferment feed. It's super easy. I just put a little food in a 5 gallon bucket and add de-chlorinated water. I keep the water level about an inch over the top of the feed, and I keep the bucket covered with a towel then I just scoop what I want to feed them with a strainer. They go crazy for it and zero waste.

Mine won't touch pellets. I feed a free range mix of grain which consists of triticale , hulled oats sunflower seeds , lupin and corn. I mix through a scoop of " livamol " to each 20 kilo bag. I found a pellet that is really small. I mix it in 50/50 through the winter.

1 part pigeon conditioner, 1 part animax, 1 part layer pellets, 1 part race horse oats, 1/2 part black oil sunflower seeds. And always vitamins and electrolytes in water.

Last edited:
Whoa.
bow.gif

I'm with the majority.. crumbles for chicks and pellets for the older girls. A feeder full of crumbles or mash will last 2-3 days while the same feeder full of pellets will last 7 days. We bought a whole grain food once and while it looked great, they went through it WAY too quick.

My chicken don't like pallets unless I starve them first. So I switched them to organic feed which I don't think is crumbles but just a bunch of grains mixed together. My problem is that they leave the small particles/powdery stuff behind so I am worried about them not getting a balanced diet.
Yeah, pallets don't taste very good.
lau.gif

You can add water and turn it into mush, then there's no more powder :) You can also go as far as fermenting the feed, does the same thing but also adds good bacteria. I used to feed the left over crumble powder with plain yogurt and give that to them in the mornings for the probiotics but now I just ferment feed. It's super easy. I just put a little food in a 5 gallon bucket and add de-chlorinated water. I keep the water level about an inch over the top of the feed, and I keep the bucket covered with a towel then I just scoop what I want to feed them with a strainer. They go crazy for it and zero waste.
I gotta try that. However, I don't know how to de-chlorinate water. Chicago water is all chlorinated. Do you buy it or can you kindly explain the process? Thanks

Last edited:
We buy a poultry feed made by our local feed mill. It's a combination of crumbles and whole grains. Actually looks like real food. And the Ladies love it. They don't waste any as long as it's in a hanging feeder. I did put in an extra standing feeder (up on a flower pot) when we introduced a new chicken. They all made a mess with that one. Thankfully we are back to the one hanging feeder!

Also in the morning I mix a wet feed for them (warmed up if it's cold out). I just use their regular feed, a little water, and yogurt. They LOVE that!!!!

I gotta try that. However, I don't know how to de-chlorinate water. Chicago water is all chlorinated. Do you buy it or can you kindly explain the process? Thanks

Just let it sit for 24 hrs or so. The chlorine evaporates out of it.

Honestly though, I don't bother letting the chlorine evaporate out. I just feed them in the morning. Add a scoop of the pellets, crumbles, BOSS, Cracked Corn back to the jar, top it off with warm water out of the tap. Doesn't seem to bother the bacteria at all as the next morning it's nice and bubbly and yeasty once again.

Back
Top Bottom