• mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
how do you ferment ??
Hi there and
welcome-byc.gif
Check out this thread about fermenting. It has a TON of good info!

:welcome  There is a fermenting feed on here..you should check it out if you haven't already. Also, have you thought about raising mealworms? I started raising them not long ago and they are taking off so well (and so far they have been so easy to deal with) I think there is a really good article on here about raising mealies (I will have to look to see where it was but it is VERY informative)

I would like to start the worm raising because I read/saw a great way to do it but my DH would have to construct the area and he is too busy and not as enthusiastic about all this as I am. I may get him there though. It may happen in the Spring.

Hi there. I enjoyed reading your post, and had a Q. How do you ferment your countryside organic feed? I have no idea how to go about something like that, but would love to try. Sounds like your chickens love it! I tried sprouting rye grass before with little success. I may try to sprout my counrtyside feed, just to see what happens. Thanks for your post!

Hi there. I enjoyed reading your post, and had a Q. How do you ferment your countryside organic feed? I have no idea how to go about something like that, but would love to try. Sounds like your chickens love it! I tried sprouting rye grass before with little success. I may try to sprout my counrtyside feed, just to see what happens. Thanks for your post!

I found a lot of information on fermenting feed here at BYC. I just used 2 old (sanitized) kitty litter buckets. Drilled very small holes about 1/2 inch apart all over bottom and partway up the sides. Fill the bucket workout holes about halfway full and then stack the bucket with holes on top. The water will come through. I only have 6 chickens so I only need about 6 cups of feed. Sometimes I do double just depends on whether I am around to do it because no one else will. Make sure you have enough water to keep the feed covered with water. I sit the bucket lid loosely over the top. Also make sure there is no chlorine in your water. I filter mine but I've heard you can let your water set 24 hours and chlorine will dissipate. Before I had the bucket with hole I just used one bucket and a plastic strainer and scooped it out and drained water off. You will need a couple days for it to ferment at first. Stir it ocassionally. You will know it's working if you see bubbles and it smells sour like sour dough. I encourage you to read other people's information since I am new to this and they probably have better processes. Oh, and always keep your starter water!

I would like to start the worm raising because I read/saw a great way to do it but my DH would have to construct the area and he is too busy and not as enthusiastic about all this as I am. I may get him there though. It may happen in the Spring.
Do you have an empty tote or aquarium? I even used a small plastic (shoe box size) to start before I got a larger container. as you have a couple inches from the top so they can't get out. I house all 3 (well 4 really) together. I don't separate them out, but some people choose to.

I started mine off with crumbles~until about 6months. At that point I slowly switched them to pellets. On pellets they seem to eat less, waste less and forage more! This weekend they will be switched to an all natural, non-GMO feed that looks good enough for ME to eat!

Back
Top Bottom